Panel Edge Glue-ups Without Jointing?

I am not quite sure why the mention of 2 sticks not being parallel after sawing would be of any matter. Jointing will not aid in bringing board edges parallel either. Board edges need not be parallel to form a panel. Board edges only need to be straight, which a TS and a jointer will do. Granted a board may not remain straight after being cut on a TS but another trip through the TS on a sled, not unlike multiple passes through a jointer, will again recreate the straight edge.

Reply to
Leon

I quit swapping blades when I bought a WWII. I get a cut when ripping normal thickness stock that is shiney smooth with out tooth marks. You might be able to get a better cut from another blade buty what would be the point. As it is the edge does not have to be sanded for appearance sake. Now if you are going to be ripping THICK stock you might opt for a rip blade. 10+ years and I only use a rip blade for ripping 2x4's.

Reply to
Leon

There website is horrible.

or

that doesn't work, do to the front of the link and search for "tru-match" under "model."

Reply to
-MIKE-

Oh my..... That base is a piece of awfulness. It flexes, doesn't stay true and simply isn't big enough. $ 46.00 buys a precision phenolic base from Pinske. You don't have to buy his insert bit holder and wavy bit inserts, because the PC and Freud ones work just fine.

for 'wavy bit' and base.

Reply to
Robatoy

It wasn't an endorsement from me. I was just looking for pictures for my feeble brain. :-)

stuff definitely looks better.

Reply to
-MIKE-

By the way, I just came home with this...

I love multitaskers and I've never had a good rip blade. I know I paid too much, but that silly schedule schmedule got the best of me.

Reply to
-MIKE-

Great blade. Used it a lot.

Reply to
Robatoy

This thread was starting to make me feel inadequate about my table saw, because inspite of having all the fancy blades mentioned here no way in hell can I go straight to a glue up.

Then I flattened a cherry slab that had a twist in it on the cnc and felt better about things ;)

-Kevin

Reply to
Kevin

Fun, huh?

Reply to
Robatoy

Yeah, but then you make me feel inadequate about my cnc ;)

-Kevin

Reply to
Kevin

This blade is living up to its hype. First thing I noticed is that the stock moves a lot faster with a dedicated rip blade. Second thing I noticed is that the cut surface comes out looking as good or better than a edge done on a router. With the exception of some light burns due to operator error, it cuts a pristine edge.

Reply to
-MIKE-

I used to use the Freud rip and crosscut blades and they did a great job. But since I bought a Freud Fusion I don't switch blades very often

- it's that good. But it's still not quite as good as the Freud rip blade. It seems to be better than the Freud crosscut blade. And I no longer use a plywood blade at all.

Reply to
Larry Blanchard

IMHO, table saws shine at ripping, it is what they do best. Cutting panels to size (plywood, MDF, PB) is another of its strong points, but a proper panel saw does that job better and takes up way less space, but you can't rip lumber on a panel saw, so table saw it is.

Reply to
Robatoy

I noticed on Amazon that there are several 10" Freud Glue line rip blades. Can you tell me which one you have had the good experiences with?

Reply to
blueman

I have the LM74R010 which is the 30 teeth, 12 degree hook, full kerf,

10" blade with the red "perma-shield" coating. I am extremely pleased with it.

As far as I can tell, the other Amazon blades are the thin kerf version and the industial version. The industrial is the one that isn't red. It has the "silver ice" non-stick coating, which I'm guessing accomplishes the same thing as the red blade, without the red. :-) The red version actually has "industrial" printed on it, too.

The thin kerf versions are for lower powered saws. If you have a contractor saw that is under 2hp or so, thin kerf would help you out. But if you have a cabinet or hybrid with a heavy duty motor, you'll want the full kerf for stability.

Reply to
-MIKE-