painting Birch plywood

I have some Birch plywood pieces that are going to be painted. I want a professional finished surface, something you would see in a furniture store perhaps.

Do I prime first, and then paint?

Do I sand between coats, and if so, what's the process and what grit do I use?

Reply to
rolsonDesign

Prime, lightly sand and then paint.

Reply to
tdup2

Use some spackle on any depressions or voids. sand lightly then prime (use paint additive,can be purchased at hd) then paint using roller or better yet spray.

good luck

Len

Reply to
leonard

Sand 220 Prime Sand 220 If necessary (sanded through primer) prime and sand again Paint Sand 220 Paint again

I did this on a Poplar project with an automotive sprayer and the paint was silky smooth without thining. Overspray is a _big_ problem with these sprayers.

You can also get a smooth finish with a high quality roller purchased at a paint store (if they have more than one cash register you're in the wrong store).

Don't cheap out on the paint either, I have been able to get a very smooth finish using a brush and Muralo paint purchased at a Benjamin Moore store. I'm sure Sherwin Williams or Pittsburgh also have a high end paint that will give you a nice finish.

One last thing that I have heard but never tried is mixing BLO with an oil-based paint to get a smooth finish.

Best bet is use the roller and do a lot of sanding.

Reply to
RayV