Outdoor Animal Projects

I'd like to call upon the wisdom of the group to help me decide how to proceed with a project. I'm building a rabbit hutch, intended for outdoor use, and I am wondering how to weatherproof it. It's made primarily from

2x2's, with a plywood back and roof. The roof will also be covered with tar paper (or other rolled roofing). Is there a finish that I can use on the exposed wooden areas that will be critter friendly, or is it best to let it weather and plan on building a new one in several years?
Reply to
Alan Van Art

That's what I'd do.

Also be sure you plan your hutch so the rabbits don't get too hot in the summer, and make sure they have a warm box for the winter.

It also needs to be strong enough to resist predators. Use heavy gauge wire screening.

Also, contrary to popular "wisdom" put a solid floor in it, not a wire one. Wire floors can cause a lot of grief for the rabbit's feet.

djb

Reply to
Dave Balderstone

Paint is a good choice. A paint store should be able to tell you which outdoor paints are safe for pets. Set the posts on a gravel bed or up off the ground to prevent rot/insect damage.

Reply to
Phisherman