OT - You guys need some culture

who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind dont matter, and those who matter dont mind.

- Dr Seuss

Reply to
J T

I enjoyed the humor. A good joke is a good joke no matter who's the target.

FWIW, I flew to France nine days after 9-11 for a three-week vacation and spent about half of that time traveling by canal (with at least daily stops in small towns for provisions) south along the Saônne and the other half in Paris.

Not much reported by the people quoted on that web page was the universally warm hospitality and (sometimes tearful) sympathy shown ordinary USAnians by ordinary French during those difficult days.

Some observations I can share concerning French women (worth sharing because they were the subject of a couple of the jokes):

[1] The [all too] few that I was close enough to smell - in a jam-packed Metro - smelled /delightful/. (-: [2] Nowhere (in either cities or rural areas) did I notice the fabled "hairyness". [3] I saw a /lot/ fewer overweight women (and men, although I'm better wired to notice women) than I see in the US.

Somehow it now seems childish to have made fun of the French for acting on their determination that there weren't any stockpiles of Iraqi WMD's or large-scale active WMD production programs.

Freedom fries, indeed. I don't even want to think about all of the jokes now being made all around the world about USAnians - though they're probably just the same jokes with all the nationalities shifted.

Reply to
Morris Dovey

[snip] Jokes were funny... a bit stale.. but funny.

A little respect for the country that brought us Bardot....please. Even in her seventies, she can still make a bishop kick out a stained glass window.

Reply to
sandman

I met a lot of nice folks in my six weeks work/visit in France some 40 years ago (I arrived in Paris from Australia, penniless, with a knapsack and a EuRail pass to my name).

It was also one of the few places in the world I visited where I constantly had to guard against being taken advantage of in the daily gamut of human transactions, from money matters, to meals, to accommodations.

True, you can't generalize about nationality, but I am here to say that there is certainly a germ of truth in nationalistic "impressions", at least IME.

... and I grew up in a French speaking household.

Reply to
Swingman

That's about as sad as the rest of JTs posts. Ignorant, useless, and uneducated.

Reply to
Battleax

So this is what you consider "culture" down there in Coon Squat?

Reply to
Bob Schmall

As opposed to your stellar posting record, you mean? Sheesh.

Reply to
Dave Hinz

Battleax comments:

Given the content of some of your posts, I'd say you're close to an expert on lack of education.

Goodbye.

Charlie Self "Cabbage: A familiar kitchen-garden vegetable about as large and wise as a man's head." Ambrose Bierce, The Devil's Dictionary

Reply to
Charlie Self

I have no problem with 90% of my previous posts. When I see ignorant intolerant posts I respond. I do the same face to face. I will never turn a blind eye to this crap. When I see someone slurring a group of people I go after that person. I take particular pride in doing so in public as well.

Reply to
Battleax

Please add ;-) to my previous post. I ain't no battleax.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Schmall

Reply to
Sean Dinh

Bob Schmall responds:

I'm one state up from him and about 30 miles from Big Lick (known these days as Roanoke).

Charlie Self "Man is the only animal that blushes. Or needs to." Mark Twain

Reply to
Charlie Self

Thu, Dec 9, 2004, 11:56am snipped-for-privacy@thistime.net (Battleax) says: That's about as sad as the rest of JTs posts. Ignorant, useless, and uneducated.

I'm crushed. But, what part of the OT (off topic) didn't you understand?

JOAT Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind dont matter, and those who matter dont mind.

- Dr Seuss

Reply to
J T

Thu, Dec 9, 2004, 4:59pm (EST+5) snipped-for-privacy@wi.rr.com (Bob=A0Schmall) asks: So this is what you consider "culture" down there in Coon Squat?

Sir, your abysmal ignorance astounds me. That is "Raccoon" Squat!

JOAT Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind dont matter, and those who matter dont mind.

- Dr Seuss

Reply to
J T

Thu, Dec 9, 2004, 2:10pm snipped-for-privacy@thistime.net (Battleax) claims: I have no problem with 90% of my previous posts. When I see ignorant intolerant posts I respond. I do the same face to face. I will never turn a blind eye to this crap. When I see someone slurring a group of people I go after that person. I take particular pride in doing so in public as well.

So, you claiming ou've never told a Catholic, Jewish, Polish, or whatever joke in your life?

You have any Catholic friends? If you do, they must not tell jokes. The best Catholic jokes I've heard were told by Catholics; best Jewish jokes, by Jews; best Polish jokes, by Poles; and so on - and they were all friends of mine.

I can't make a call on your ignorance, because I don't know you; but, seems to me like you're pretty intolerant yourself.

JOAT Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind dont matter, and those who matter dont mind.

- Dr Seuss

Reply to
J T

Thu, Dec 9, 2004, 8:45pm (EST+5) snipped-for-privacy@wi.rr.com (Bob=A0Schmall) claims: Please add ;-) to my previous post. I ain't no battleax.

Oh, now you're trying to pass yourself off as cute, eh?

JOAT Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind dont matter, and those who matter dont mind.

- Dr Seuss

Reply to
J T

It always amazes me that we dislike so intently, the country that fought and won our American Revolution for us. Saved our ass they did by winning the battle of Yorktown. Who knows what life might be like today without them. God Bless them Everyone. Mike in Arkansas

Reply to
JMWEBER987

They've been more than paid back. They owe us now.

Reply to
Lazarus Long

Very funny. Thanks.

Reply to
Lazarus Long

Oh, now you're trying to pass yourself off as cute, eh?

Unsuccessfully, as always. ;-)

Reply to
Bob Schmall