OT: Ya don't know what you're missing

When we moved back home about 2 months ago, we were told we had to wait 90 days before the "do not call" list takes effect.

What a PITA! We had gotten spoiled, having been on the list from the git-go. I just now picked up the phone, got the dit-daaaaah-diiit-dah that indicates a message, discovered some idiot trying to sell me health insurance had left what I assume was full spiel on the voice mail box.

I assume because I hit "3" as soon as I realized it was sales babble.

Does anyone buy anything at all from these types? I surely hope not.

Charlie Self "Inanimate objects are classified scientifically into three major categories - those that don't work, those that break down and those that get lost." Russell Baker

Reply to
Charlie Self

I've just resorted to "please take me off your list and never call this number again.".

It drives me nuts when I hear someone politely decline and try to get off the phone, and then they continue to try and get off the phone another 6 or 8 times while some automaton on the other end of the line reads through the 27 point script on how to rip someone off. JUST HANG UP!

JP

Reply to
Jay Pique

I read a newspaper article awhile back that said direct marketing only needs about 0.5-1% positive response to justify their efforts. So, even if 99 of us use our brain and tell them where to go, that 1 person that thinks they really need an automatic toilet paper dispenser or whatever keeps these people going.

I'm with you, the do-not-call list was the best thing government has come up with in my lifetime.

Mike

Reply to
Mike in Mystic

That particular one has made it onto all my phones in the past few weeks, more than once, despite the DNCL here in Texas, which has been remarkably effective.

Reply to
Swingman

I usually interrupt them right at the start and tell them I have been waiting for their call and ask them to hang on for a second while I grab a pen.

Than I go cut some wood

SWMBO will hang the phone up for me when she hears it go off hook.

Mark

Reply to
Markndawoods

Before the DNCL went into effect, and when the kids were infants we went ahead and paid US Worst/Qworst the extra money to take their no-solicitation service. Our calls dropped to zero.

I think Caller ID and the DNCL are the two greatest inventions since Orville said to Wilbur, "Yeah, sure. Why not?"

Reply to
patrick conroy

The Do Not Call List is wonderful (after the 90 day wait, of course). My father used to sell life insurance (from his office). Whenever he'd get a telemarketer on the phone, he'd say, "No, I'm not interested, but while I've got you on the line, let me tell you about this new Whole Life policy my company is offering...". He'd go on and on in uninterruptible-sales-speak until the telemarketer had to hang up on him! It was priceless.

Jerry

Reply to
Jerry Shaw

Thu, Aug 5, 2004, 1:49pm (EDT+4) snipped-for-privacy@aol.comnotforme (Charlie=A0Self) wants to know. Does anyone buy anything at all from these types?

Yes. Yes, I do.

More or less.

Every once in awhile I get a call from the outfit that handles my Hot Rod and Car Craft subscriptions. They have a better deal than a regular subscription, so I have them renew them. Anything else, I hang up.

JOAT Jesus was a Ford man, that's why he walked everywhere.

WALK LIKE AN EGYPTIAN

J T

While I lived in Bedford VA near Charlie I got a call from a mortgage company...many times and they would not stop calling. One night I got the call and was prepared. I went over all my bills with the guy mortgage options and the like. strung him on for like 30 - 40 minutes asking questions and the like. When he asked me for my mortgage company I told him I rented...He yelled that I couldn't use his services and replied that he had called me and that I assumed he knew that...he slammed the phone down and I never heard from them again....i slept well that night I gotta admit

Reply to
Carl Stigers

When I worked for an ISP, a 2% take rate was HUGE from a mailing or CD distribution at an event.

Is the Connecticut DNC list GREAT or what? I can't remember my last telemarketing call, and I don't even subscribe to telco services like Privacy Manager or Caller ID!

Barry

Reply to
B a r r y

Did he ever get any takers that way? :-)

Reply to
Mark & Juanita

I'd answer and they'd ask to speak to me by name. I'd just say sure, and yell out, "hey Ed, telephone call" and then tell the telemarketer "he'll be right with you" and just set the phone down in front of the radio or TV. Sometimes I'd pick up the phone after a minute to tell him "he'll be right with you I hear him coming"

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

You're a baaaaaaaaaad man. :-)

Wayne

Reply to
NoOne N Particular

uninterruptible-sales-speak

No, he just rattled on until they hung up. That's when I realized it's not rude to hang up on telemarketers, it's what they expect - that it's part of the business.

Jerry

Reply to
Jerry Shaw

Carl

Many years ago I kept getting sales calls from a siding company in a nearby town (about 45miles aways) who would NOT take no for an answer

So, I finally said "Sure, come up and take the measurements and give me a quote."

The showed up, spent about 30 minutes meaureing, and another 30 minutes talking financing, when he decided to pull out a contract.

I asked him if maybe it would be better if the homeowner signed any contract, at which point he went balliistic. Told me I was guility of fraud as I had told him I owned my home. I told him that I DID own my home, it just happened to be 130miles way and I was just a lowly RENTER of this place. Also, I brought up the fact that they NEVER asked me if I owned the property I was living in, the only question was "Do you own your home?" Told him if there was any question of fraud, it was on THEIR head NOT to have clarified what they wanted when they asked.

The look on his face was worth the effort, and they definitely STOPPED the sales calls

Revenge is sweet

John

Reply to
John

It's a wonder he didn't beat your ass, but I liked the story.

Reply to
Mortimer Schnerd, RN

UPDATE: The FTC _changed_the_rules_. The final rule-making, issued in March is that telemarketers must 'scrub' their lists at least every _31_ days. (was 91 days). Unfortunately, that change doesn't take effect till 1 January. Gory details, for those want them, starting at:

(yes, that dog-whiskey-tango suffix *is* correct. No, I don't know what it stands for.)

Note, as of April (6 months months after the list went 'live'), 58.4 million residence phones were on the list. Out of a little over 100 million households in the country, and something like 114 million residential phone lines. (note: original predictions were circa 30 million after 2 years.)

And folks thought 'everybody hates telemarketers' was overblown.

I wonder how telemarketing services try to _sell_ their own services these days.

Reply to
Robert Bonomi

Note the two who still call, because the Rule:

creates an "established business relationship" exception to the National Do Not Call provisions so that a company may call a consumer with whom it has such a relationship, even if the consumer's number is on the Registry.

covers charitable solicitations placed by for-profit telefunders. The National Do Not Call Registry provisions do not apply to for-profit telefunders; rather, for-profit telefunders must keep their own Do Not Call lists and honor donors' requests not to be called.

My universities apparently sell lists, because the calls open with "on behalf of _ ."

Reply to
George

Apparently politicians are another exception. Last week I had a message from one explaining that "...there are many important issues on the upcoming ballot, I hope I can count on your vote." Of course he didn't say what they were or where he stood on them (He didn't get my vote).

Jerry

Reply to
Jerry Shaw