OT: West Texas Simians

Driving through a small town in West Texas last week, I noticed a high school with a banner saying "Blurt High--Home of the Gorillas". First came the rhetorical question, "Wonder what the cheerleaders' moves look like?". Second came the thought, "What do they call the girls' teams? Lady Gorillas? Gorillettes? Gorills?" It was all over in a minute.

Reply to
Bob Schmall

In Houston my son is a senior in HS. Last year the expensive request for a Class Ring came up. The company that was in charge of taking the orders is, "Herff Jones. I was wondering what a Herff ring would look like. :~)

Reply to
Leon

Emporia (KS) State College mascot/name is/are also the Gorillas...don't know what they do w/ the womens' teams, either...have a pretty successful Div II program, however.

Reply to
Duane Bozarth

It's a good thing you didn't drive through Hutto. Their mascot is the Hippo.

And then there's Pflugerville. Their mascot is the Pfanther. (Just kidding.)

So did you enjoy the Big Bend?

Chuck Vance (whose junior high school team was The Matadors; now that really puts the fear of gawd into an opponent)

Reply to
Conan The Librarian

Our high school mascot was the trojan. Had some fun with that one...

Reply to
Dave Hinz

Trojans (Chambersburg, PA) for me. (It's hard to believe but the name did have a downside.)

Reply to
Fly-by-Night CC

I heard that the song girls do a good job with "Gorilla my dreams..." twitch, jo4hn

Reply to
jo4hn

Ladies teams would have to be the Hippettes.

Very much, Chuck, tenjewberrymud. We were concerned about what those Texas winds would do to the awning on our camper, but solved that early by having it blown off in Illinois. Big Bend park was great, but then we made a mistake by reserving at a resort just north of the park. (resort, hell-it was an old ranch with wide spots in the road for campers) Then we recovered nicely in the Davis Mountains. We'll be back

Bob

Reply to
Bob Schmall

Somewhere in Eastern PA there a High School whose football team is "The Fighting Quakers".

Reply to
fredfighter

Marathon? The Gage Hotel? I spent a few years exploring for oil in the Marathon basin, stayed at the Gage quuite a few times.

-jbb

Reply to
J.B. Bobbitt

I spent a "vacation" in Manitoba in April one year. The town of Gladstone high school team's moniker.........

The "Happy Rocks". Go figure.

-jbb

Reply to
J.B. Bobbitt

community college in phoenix: the fighting artichokes.

Reply to
Charles Spitzer

I expect it'd look kinder like a "C".

Dave in Fairfax

Reply to
Dave in Fairfax

Confirmed: you have no shame, you insensitive little primate.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Schmall

I like U.C--Santa Barbara (IIRC): the Banana Slugs.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Schmall

Gorilla my dreams?

Reply to
George

Now I think I understand why the Texas Legistature (for real) has introduced a bill to make "suggestive cheerleader routines" illegal.

scott

Reply to
Scott Lurndal

While at the mall in Dothan Alabama, I saw a group of cheerleaders, in their cheeleader outfits. Acrossed the front "Headland".

The Norfolk Virginia cheer Cheerleader(s): We don't smoke crowd: WE DON'T SMOKE! Cheerleader(s): We don't drink crowd: WE DON'T DRINK! Cheerleader(s): Norfolk! Norfolk! YEAH! crowd: g r o a n of disappointment

charlie b

Reply to
charlie b

Now you just gotta be from VA to know that one. Hell, I could hear it in my head while I read it.

Dave in Fairfax

Reply to
Dave in Fairfax

Probably a slightly better choice than the "Quaking Fighters" :-)

Mark & Juanita