OT: To all you East-coast quake surfers.....

Welcome to my world!

It can get pretty exciting.

-Zz "Zz Yzx" rhymes with "physics"; or " Isaacs" if you prefer.

Zz Yzx

I work at a large teaching hospital in Baltimore in one of the many research buildings. Whenever we have a fire drill there are many of us who have to be dragged out of our labs to comply with the safety regulations. Today, I saw hundreds of folks pouring out of many buildings without anyone being coaxed out. I'm usually the last out during a fire drill, I was one of the first out today. Over the past 6 years we've have lots of outside construction (road work, foundations for new buildings) that have caused vibration in our buiding but today's "vibrations" and shakes were something I had never experienced before. I prefer my "rocking and rolling" on a surfboard. Marc

Reply to
marc rosen

Yup, mom nature rolling over in bed. You should be happy she wasn't pissed...

Reply to
Doug Winterburn

----------------------------------- Murphy's 5th law:

Mother Nature Is A Bitch.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

I grew up in LoCal. Those little shakers are common. In CA, the only people screaming and running are the out-of-staters. The rest of us (using that in past tense) just sit 'em out with silly grins.

Well, at least the 5ers and less. 3-4 quakes are the most common.

I've only felt a couple since moving to Oregon. One gave me a start. I was concentrating on the computer when it sounded like a truck came through the living room wall. It was over in 1/2 second, and there were no aftershocks worth mentioning. Just a WHAM! and silence. Very strange. I thought about it for a few seconds, realized that both the front and back windows shuddered at nearly the same time, shrugged, and knew that it was just a fast-moving shockwave.

My neigbor's friend lives in Baltimore and was on the toilet when that one hit. She got a shot of cold water on her bum as the quake rumbled. I suppose the restroom is the place to be when you get the crap scared out of you. ;)

-- Learning to ignore things is one of the great paths to inner peace. -- Robert J. Sawyer

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Zz Yzx wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

and built to some kind of quake standards. We were on the second floor by the cafetaria. My wife thought I was crazy complaining about the floor moving under my chair. I felt like it moved with about a 1/4 to 1/2 inch sway for half a minute or so. I later heard about the "quake". No evacuations or anything there. Grandchildren had a ball, didn't feel the quake at all.

Reply to
Han

If so, I stopped off there and checked out the salt flats this July. HOT. Fun, but HOT.

Reply to
Joe AutoDrill

That'd be the same road.

Reply to
Zz Yzx

  1. I didn't actually think there would be two of them, but one never knows!
  2. I had my kids and wife in the car at the time and they were't as keen on exploring as me. I would have spent hours there if I could. Cool, deserted place - figuratively speaking.
Reply to
Joe AutoDrill