OT: This going to be good. (Formula One)

Fernando Alonso finished second to close within four points of his McLaren teammate. Hamilton now has 107 points, Alonso 103 and Raikkonen 100.

It will be the first time since 1986 that three drivers will enter the final race with a chance to take the title.

Sao Paulo Brazil Oct 21..... THIS is going to be cool.

F1 is my only 'sports' sickness. If you have never watched a race.. this will be the one to make you an addict.

r---->who thinks Hamilton can win, but Alfonso is last year's champ..and Kimmi...well, I think he deserves it too. Shit... 3 favourites...who am I going to root for?

*bites nails*
Reply to
Robatoy

Those cars are *insane*.

**
**

B A R R Y

Yup! And there are a lot of restrictions in place to keep them 'less insane'.. no turbos etc. etc.

An age old argument has been about how CART, IRL and F1 would compare in a race. That opportunity came when CART hosted a race on Gilles Villeneuve Circuit in Montreal. The F1 were a full SIX seconds faster per lap than CART. Sayyyy no more.

Robatoy

No argument here.

F1 may be the last bastion of the "biggest sack" wins!

**
**

B A R R Y

Sun, Oct 7, 2007, 4:46pm snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com (B=A0A=A0R=A0R=A0Y) posted that: On Sun, 07 Oct 2007 19:16:20 -0000, Robatoy wrote: F1 is my only 'sports' sickness. If you have never watched a race.. this will be the one to make you an addict.

Some how missed the original post, or it just hasn't shown up yet; that's happened before.

Nah. Motorcycle sidecar racing for one. Waaaay cooler. Then there's mud bogging. Hmmm, yep those two are pretty much the tops in racing. Used to watch the sidecar racers practicing at Hockenheim. And mud bogging is always good for some excitement, and laughs. Then there's midget (car) racing, and short track racing. I like racting where I can see the whole track, and they aren't going so fast you can't see them, and if they do crash, it's usually pretty much no, or at least limited, injuries. I'm a person of simple pleasures.

J T

Hamilton had everything wrapped up until his crash. If only he had replaced the tires....

Jim

Reply to
Jim

Great end coming up to a great season. Nothing compares to F1 when it comes to motor sport (ok, Group B rally cars, but they banned those in

1986). Hamilton is likely to win it all, but I'm hoping for two McLaren breakdowns in Brazil, and a Ferrari 1-2!

Kevin

Reply to
Kevin

That would be pretty cool. I'm a bit disappointed in McLaren and that whole espionage thing.

Reply to
Robatoy

That just goes to show that all kinds of decisions go into a win. Bad ones into a loss. It's all teamwork.

Reply to
Robatoy

Fair is fair - let's put the F-1 cars on abig oval like say...Indy, or Michigan, and see just how much slower they are than CART cars. I've yet to see an F-1 car cross traps at 250+ CART cars were doing that at Indy 15 years ago. Fair is fair.

-Kevin in Indy. (Who still thinks Spa Francorchamps is the best racetrack in the world - even with The Brickyard in his neighborhood) To reply, remove (+spamproof+) from address........

Reply to
Kevin M. Vernon

Unlimited Air Racing at Reno. Turning laps 150+mph FASTER than ANY other form of motorsports you care to name. And that's in 60+ year old machines.

Can you say 500 miles an hour? Rare Bear & Strega can.

-Kevin in Indy To reply, remove (+spamproof+) from address........

Reply to
Kevin M. Vernon

Turn left, turn left, turn left..yeehaw.. now we're racing. That's like basketball...but no running allowed.

I'm not saying that Nascar and all that oval stuff isn't exciting to a lot of people, and a lot of people listen to country too...but that just isn't me. There are people who actually drink Budweiser!

MotorCAR racing on a road course is a lot more challenging, interesting and real than that oval stuff. Try racing in the rain..you know, real world situations. Rallies are super cool, but there isn't enough coverage to get to know the drivers and their gear.

One nice thing about people is that we all like different things.

Reply to
Robatoy

That's what I liked about CART at ther height - they ran on EVERYTHING. Road courses, street courses, big ovals, small ovals - they ran it all. And to stand a chance of finishing well for the year you had to be good at everything.

Somone pointed out that F-1 cars were faster than CART cars on the same roadcourse - granted. I suggest putting them on the same high-speed oval & reverse the results. *shrug*

Oh, and the WWE...er I mean NASCAR.... is pathetic. Yuk.

-Kevin in Indy To reply, remove (+spamproof+) from address........

Reply to
Kevin M. Vernon

I missed those, as they didn't get much coverage in the USA. A local friend of mine from South Africa via the UK, brought me up to speed on them. He's got a large collection of models, books, and photos with a good representation of Group B.

Man, o'man...

**
**

B A R R Y

My favorite NASCAR event was Sears Point, then they dumbed down the track for stock cars. Watkins Glen could be good, too.

Back in '94 or '95, Mark Martin and Dale Earnhardt battled around Sears Point for a good 30-40 minutes. On the last lap, DE slipped by in the Carousel, a long descending, turn, to win the race. That race created a road racing fan in me!

Then, the Carousel was removed from NASCAR visits to Sears Point. 8^(

**
**

B A R R Y

Hey, another Indy wRECker! How close to the track are you? I'm near 38th & Kessler.

Reply to
Doug Miller

Indy cars are designed to go fast on ovals, F1 cars road courses, Thrust SSC straight line on a desert. So, no use in comparing apples to oranges. That said, when it comes to technology, indy cars can't hold a candle to F1 cars. Driving skill? Top drivers are F1 and rally.

Kevin

Reply to
Kevin

But each is designed within a very narrow range of restrictive rules -- w/o that, there would be cars show up at Indy that would beat the sox off all others -- which doesn't make for much of a race.

So, the point of "apples and oranges" goes even deeper to the basic rules of each...

--

Reply to
dpb

Yep. That's why Juan Montoya is leading the Nextel Cup Series in points. Oh, wait...my bad...that's Jeff Gordon. Juan's in 20th place. The point is, each race type has its own set of driver skills and trying to say that a driver in once race type is better than another in a different type is a fruitless (and pointless) exercise.

todd

Reply to
todd

Very true. In fact, Indy car chassis can cost no more than $309,000. F1 car costs about 10x that. So, comparing an F1 car to an Indy car is like comparing an Indy car to a $30,000 racing car. F1 technology is just amazing.

Kevin

Reply to
Kevin