No one going to pull this apart ?

Warming set to breach 1C threshold

"...it's clear that it is human influence driving our modern climate into uncharted territory..."

Reply to
Jonno

Apparently not.

Maybe.....it's true? Just a thought.

Reply to
Davey

How reliable are the figures for _global_ warming between 1850 and 1900?

The current temperatures are taken world wide but those 150 years ago are possibly limited to a small number of countries.

The figures for 250 years ago were possibly rejected because they didn't fit in with researcher's theories.

Reply to
alan_m

Recent work has been on fitting the models to climate data from rather older than that. It apparently works, ie shows the models work.

Reply to
Clive George

Its amazing how they can keep a straight face telling such total porkies..

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Of course it is! Thats why they are spending more on a climate conference in Paris than they are on stopping emissions!

There's one born every minute..

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Er no, recent work has been on 're assessing' the temperature data, and fitting it to the models..

So times when they were growing grapes in Sweden and cereals in Greenland are now 'much colder' than the climate today.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

If the 'model' doesn't fit recent past observations, how can they use it to predict anything? It's nonsense!

Reply to
Chris Hogg

I'll bet that this new adjusted data no longer fits the model results that were discarded because they didn't fit the behaviour expected by the researchers.

Reply to
alan_m

Not exactly uncharted. the earth has warmed and cooled a lot of times in its history. Yes much of it this time is to do with our activities, but unfortunately if people use the usual short term ism, we will just muddle through as usual with huge numbers dying and others fighting to keep the ha habitable areas. Brian

Reply to
Brian-Gaff

Note that I didn't say that I agreed with the concept, but was suggesting it as a possibility to explain why there was no other response.

Reply to
Davey

Do you really think that?

Its easy to make a model that fits old data, its when you try and predict the future that the errors in the models start to show.

They have done these predictions in the past and they have been wrong every time.

That is the previous models don't work and the jury is out on the present ones.

Reply to
dennis

So we should scrap all this green rubbish and build a bigger, better army because we have no control over what others do and we make an insignificant contribution to global CO2.

Reply to
dennis

New adjusted model, not new adjusted data. That's how science works. If your model doesn't fit the data, you refine it. The recent thing has demonstrated that the model doesn't just fit recent data, it also fits very old data. This supports the theory that the model is accurate.

Reply to
Clive George

Sounds reasonable to me. And treble up trident. I've always felt no one would want to fight over a smoking radioactive pit called 'Jerusalem'.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

It's not how 'climate science' works, but then that's because it long ago ceased to be science. It's marketing now.

If

I wonder how long your nose just grew there..

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

A couple of months ago, I asked my wife's newphew - who lives in California, if we've ever know the truth about "Global Warming". He said "I doubt it - there's too much money invested in it".

Reply to
charles

Just FYI: that there Roger Harrabin is doing a 3-pt series on Radio 4 starting next Monday and 20.00:

The Science Changing Climate

Climate talks typically end in disenchantment and disarray, so will this year's summit in Paris be any different? In this three part series Roger Harrabin examines the science, politics and solutions of climate. In the first of this series he looks at the science behind climate change. Predicting the future climate is a pretty tricky business and over the last twenty five years or so its had a chequered history. Roger talks to the scientists about their models and asks if they are accurate enough or should they just be consigned to the dustbin. He takes tea with the leading US politician who simply won't be convinced of man-made climate change. He meets the "luke-warmers" who believe in climate change but don't think the planet will warm as much as predicted. He will also examine the current predictions and how confident we should be.

Reply to
Another John

No, it's religion.

Reply to