OT - Solar Eruptions Recently

Northern lights might be seen as far south as Pennsylvania tonight. For you northern folks, go out and have a look.

Sonny

Reply to
Sonny

Thanks for the heads up.

Here's the web site that I have bookmarked for the Aurora :

John T.

Reply to
hubops

I spent a year in AK while in the USCG. We'd spend hours lying on the shoreline of the Bering Straight (up near Russia) watching the lights dance in the sky.

Way too much light pollution where I am now. Either that or too cloudy. That was the case last night.

My daughter went to college in Plattsburgh NY. At the time, and maybe still, they had a video feed from the Adirondack Sky Center in nearby Tupper Lake. (~70 miles) It is listed as one of the best places for night sky observations east of the Mississippi.

The Adirondack Sky Center "sits squarely in the Adirondacks, six million acres that is permanently protected as ?Forever Wild? by the New York State Constitution, which means the region will remain wilderness and not be threatened by urban lighting. The low humidity and high altitude add clarity to the dark skies. Local officials recognized early on the special nature of their dark skies and agreed to install down-facing streetlights, which help to curb light pollution"

Reply to
DerbyDad03

In other words extremely unlikely to be seen even in southern Ontario

- muck less PA??

Reply to
Clare Snyder

Climate Change!

Reply to
Leon

They mentioned it in our local paper, with the caveat that the weather would suck.

I used to wake the kids at 2AM and take them down to a local golf course to watch the annual Geminid Meteor Shower. Then I made them go to school.

Reply to
DerbyDad03