Mystery Tool giant caliper

A local guy has hundreds of items listed on Kijiji < like Craigs List > and some that he can't even identify -

- it always spurs on my curiosity and need to solve it.

Any ideas ?

John T.

Reply to
hubops

Interesting tool. All 3 "ends" remind me of tools for breaking or and/or "harvesting" ice. The point on it makes it look like a dangerous thing to play with!

During my search I learned that a tool I picked up at auction (with a bunch of other stuff) that I was guessing might be for picking up hay bales actually seems to be an "ice hook" for picking up ice. Can't throw that out! ; ) Any offers? It's "vintage"!

Reply to
Bill

Le 04/04/2022 à 13:26, snipped-for-privacy@ccanoemail.ca a écrit :

In japanese zen gardening:

ck

Torquemada's back scratcher?

Reply to
krw

A joke?

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Some of this guy's other mystery items are obviously < crudely > home-made and therefore not worth the bother to solve - but I thought this one looked legit - dunno. John T.

Reply to
hubops

It looks to me like a rake to make circular patterns in sand, as used for Japanese gardens. Someone else said this.

Joe Gwinn

Reply to
Joe Gwinn

They don't seem any more complicated than a wood/bamboo rake.

Reply to
krw

It seems to be a gauging tool or supporting tool. For example, the toothed curved bar at the hinge end appears intended to hold the point and rake ends at a fixed distance when engaged in the edge of the rake side's hinge ferrule. I suspect that the tool folds the other way, or at least opens up straighter, in use.

I'm sure I've seen a similar tool but cannot recall the context.

Reply to
John Grossbohlin

Le 04/04/2022 à 14:43, ck a écrit :

It is a french style gardening tool. See

ck

A tool found at Area-51:

krw