OT: snowy californicate

Well, the good news is that it stopped raining last night. The bad news is that there is now about 2 ft of snow on the ground with more coming. A couple more years of this and we can declare the drought over. The power was out but it came on just BEFORE I went out to get the generator running and plugged in. Ah, simple pleasures are the best. The LA Times fairy didn't come this morning (not surprisingly) but he called and apologized for only having been able to make it as far as the general store. Wow. I'll walk over to the post office later and pick up my paper and some milk at the store. The satellite dish is a lump on the edge of the roof but I have some basic cable channels (comes with the computer hookup) so I can catch the local news and whatever really stupid stuff I care to watch.

Usually the snow plow is here by now. I noticed that the local grader and the skip loader had been brought out and chained up yesterday. Ever heard of that kind of stuff happening? Oh well, we hit the market last Monday and so are well provisioned for a week or two. Got the heater on in the shop. All is well.

mahalo, jo4hn

Reply to
jo4hn

jo4hn, Living in So.Cal has its advantages. I can look up on the mountains and see the snow but never have to actually go there. Except when my wife wants to go to BBear. Dave

Reply to
TeamCasa

Sitting here in Houston that sounds idyllic ... I'd have to say that were this was a gloat, you'd definitely suck!

Reply to
Swingman

The magic wears off after the second or third shovel-full. Trust me.

Reply to
Dave Hinz

Sunny and 70-something, in western PA, today. I miss Texas, but not much!

Got a fan on, in the shop!

Reply to
Kevin Singleton

Reply to
Mark and Kim Smith

Sounds like paradise! :)

Dave

Reply to
TeamCasa

Our turn with the snow is coming!

Dave Hall in Pittsburgh

Reply to
David Hall

On Wed, 27 Oct 2004 09:29:18 -0700, "TeamCasa" calmly ranted:

Vista was really great for a long, long while. It was 15 minutes to the beach, an hour to the desert (Anza Borrego), an hour to water ski in one of half a dozen lakes, an hour to the mountains (Palomar, w/ telescope), 2 hours to several snowski areas (San Bernardino mts.), and an hour and a half to a whole different country (Mexico or HelL.A., take your pick)

But I don't miss it from my little Rogue Valley.

(Where are you, jo4hn? Sounds UP THERE.)

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Having just returned from a week in Northern Ohio where the sun did not shine for 8 straight days, it rained or misted every day, had ground level fog with less than a quarter mile visibility the day I left, and temps that seemed frozen in the high 40's during the day, the low 30's at night that resulted in a killing frost, reminded me again why I came to SoCal.

That and the fact that when the Browns beat the Bengals and the local TV jocks spent at least 10 hours dissecting the game.

But what the hell, nothing much else to do in Northern Ohio this time of year, especially with 7-10 ft waves on Lake Erie during much of that time.

The airline even screwed up forcing an overnight stay at there expense, in the interconnect city, but that is another issue.

That fact that I can stand at my front door, look up at the mountains and see the snow on them, knowing that snow will never touch the ground I walk on is worth all the nonsense you endure to live here in SoCal.

Another benefit this year is that since California will vote democratic, we are not bothered with any of the political bull shit from either Bush or Kerry.

The only time either one shows up is when they need money.

Up with grits.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

Don't say that! I'm trying to kid myself into believing it'll be warm 'til Christmas!

Reply to
Kevin Singleton

Hey Dave, are you going to the WW show at the Woodcraft Store out near Robinson the first week of November (5,6 & 7)? I plan to stop by on Saturday.

-- Al Reid

(also in the 'burgh)

Reply to
Al Reid

we used to be able to see the mountains in the central valley... now if the smog is light, you can see 'em... IMHO, snow is for Christmas cards and ice is to use in drinks...

Reply to
mac davis