OT: Separate hot and cold valves on kitchen taps save energy.

Just a hunch mind you, but at my house, that Delta faucet single-lever is always parked in the middle position. When any of us need water we push it to open, but I seldom see it then turned to the right which would give us only cold water. Now, if we fill a pot of water, we do push it to the right, but initially 'some' hot water will be released as the valve is opened.

I felt the hotwater tank outlet line heat up as the water was drawn with the valve 'in the middle'.

Add up all the single lever taps on the planet, and the bad habit of not turning the valve handle to the 'cold' position, and you got yourself another source of wasted energy that can only lead to the oceans going up another foot.

I say: OUTLAW single lever taps.

Reply to
Robatoy

Yes so is this as a counter guy, you know extra holes to drill?

J/K

Mark

Reply to
Markem

This will lead to specialized, spring-loaded, child-proofed, scald-proof taps which take 3 hands to make hot. Can you say TapStop(tm)? I knew you could.

Nah. Just outlaw the lazy idiots who don't pay attention and waste hot water. That'll teach 'em!

-- Experience is a good teacher, but she send in terrific bills. -- Minna Thomas Antrim

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Nonononononoooo!!! Single Lever Tap Tax!!!!

Reply to
Robatoy

Robatoy wrote the following:

Speaking of boiling water for cooking (i.e. pasta). My wife fills the pot with cold water. I fill it with hot water since it is halfway to boiling already. I offered this suggestion to her, but I guess it is against Italian law.

Reply to
willshak

Back in the day, hot water didn't taste very good from the tap, so people didn't like using it for cooking. I don't know if newer tanks produce better tasting water nor not, just offering info as to why many prefer to boil cold water.

The subject made me think, however, if there is any energy saved by using hot water. The tank is going to have to heat cold water to replace what you took out to boil. Does that take more or less energy than the stove uses to heat cold water to whatever temperature the hot water talk is set? Just thinking out loud.

Reply to
-MIKE-

Both of my water and range heat sources are propane. I was just thinking about cooking time. :-)

Reply to
willshak

Here in Arizona, We get hot water from the cold water tap in the summer.

Reply to
Doug Winterburn

"willshak" wrote

Hot water often has an off taste to it. I'm sticking with cold.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Ed Pawlowski wrote the following:

Does it matter where it got the heat? Heated in the hot water tank or in the pot? The pasta is put in the pot when it is boiling.

Reply to
willshak

What does that have to do with taste? The bad taste from water heaters comes from the crud that is stagnant inside them, not anything that would be killed by boiling the water.

Reply to
-MIKE-

-MIKE- wrote in news:isgk3f$tgu$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me:

Maybe it's like tea. You need to bring fresh cold water to a boil, otherwise it doesn't taste good, or so they say. It's sure that cold water holds far more dissolved air. Maybe that makes a difference as you boil the water and remove the dissolved air.

Reply to
Han

Yes, it can and does.

-- Experience is a good teacher, but she send in terrific bills. -- Minna Thomas Antrim

Reply to
Larry Jaques

I know the taste of the water greatly effects the taste of coffee, so it must be the same with tea. I don't think it's a temperature thing. Those tanks can get pretty nasty inside.

Easy way to find out, however. Fill a glass with hot water and fill one with cold. Put them in the fridge for an hour and have a taste test.

Reply to
-MIKE-

Yes, it can and does.

=================

Ohhh

The boredom! The boredom!!...

Reply to
Eric

I recently had a tank replaced and the difference was immediately apparent. I still don't understand why we can't make direct water heaters cheaper. All of Europe runs on tankless hot water.

Reply to
Robatoy

I don't care what they cost, next one I buy will be tank-less. The added efficiency must make up for the added cost fairly soon. That and the fact that if I want to take a 2 hour shower, I can. And it's none of your business why I'm taking a 2 hour shower.

Reply to
-MIKE-

I've used whole house tankless in the last few houses I built (both Rinnai and GE units). The electric units have pretty hefty electrical requirements ... whole house units often require three, sixty amp, 120v circuits per unit.

Gas units are really the only way to go in this part of the country, the venting can be costly (double walled stainless vent @ approximately $60/foot), but all-in-all everyone seems happy with the units and I've had no callbacks to date.

Reply to
Swingman

The house I built in OH had a talk leased by the electric company. It was a giant tank with super efficient insulation. It would only heat at night, during off-peak hours, but we never ran out of water with that giant tank.

Reply to
-MIKE-

Yes, but the hot water that has been sitting in your tank may not be as pure in taste. Mineral deposits, lime and scale are common in many areas. Feel free to drink it and cook with it, but I'd rather use a known water that is free of such things.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski