OT: Separate hot and cold valves on kitchen taps save energy.

"-MIKE-" wrote

Do some checking first. The cost of installation on a retrofit can be high as you have to upgrade some of the utilities to accommodate them. For electric, it may even require new service to the house. They are also known to lime up and require a lot of maintenance if you have very hard water. There are other alternatives that may be more cost effective.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

BINGO! There is absolutely no reason they should cost that much, so it must be the word "green" attached to them.

If it's medical, dental, industrial, governmental, or green, the price automatically doubles or triples. Feh!

-- The ultimate result of shielding men from the effects of folly is to fill the world with fools. --Herbert Spencer

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Yeah right what about thinking of the one-armed people out there who find a single lever very handy

Reply to
George W Frost

We charge them $ 1500 for an exemption certificate.

Reply to
Robatoy

------------------------------------- My guess that the installation cost difference between electric and gas will be a wash, if you do 10-12 installations.

Either one will approach $1K at the user level.

The decision will be based of what fuel is used as the primary heating/cooling source.

If it's an "all electric" installation, then you have no choice BUT off peak rates come into play.

If it's gas, then gas costs for the same amount of heat will be less than electric, but by how much is the question.

The overall cost of ownership will be strictly a function of the lifestyle of the owner.

BTW, never sold a 1P-60A c'bkr in my life.

Most likely you had 2P-60A circuits with #4AWG copper wire delivering

120/240V/1PH/60HZ power.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

Therein lies the answer as to why Tankless is more popular in Europe. REAL 3phase is common and at 400/415 between phases the copper and breaker requirements are much less.

Reply to
John G

A recent study around here looked into the difference between a gas- and an electric clothes dryer. Not enough difference to matter. You had to dry something like 12 loads a week to come out $100.00 ahead after a year with the gas unit. Part of the reason is that kw/hr rates are low compared to other regions, even though the rates have climbed drastically in the last 2 years.

Reply to
Robatoy

and an electric clothes dryer. Not enough difference to matter. You had to dry something like 12 loads a week to come out $100.00 ahead after a year with the gas unit.

-------------------------------------------- Back in the days when I was involved with such things, 12 loads of laundry was just getting started for the week.

15-20 was more like it.

Of course this was before throw away diapers.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

We charge them $ 1500 for an exemption certificate.

***********************

Wow, what a bargain !!

Reply to
George W Frost

Robatoy wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@f15g2000yqe.googlegroups.com:

I love the tankless hot water heater I've got to run the sink in the model train shop. It's always ready to go, and never runs out of hot water on me. I've got a 5 gallon tank in the garage that doesn't even last long enough to wash my hands.

When that 5 gallon unit dies (watch it last 15 years), I'm going to another instant hot unit.

Do we still need 1 water heater per house? With smaller instant hots, the demand could be supplied at or near the point-of-use, meaning no waiting for hot water.

Puckdropper

Reply to
Puckdropper

Yes, but the hot water that has been sitting in your tank may not be as pure in taste. Mineral deposits, lime and scale are common in many areas. Feel free to drink it and cook with it, but I'd rather use a known water that is free of such things.

=============================

"free of such things"???

The water is "free of such things" because if "such things" are in the tank they are not in the water anymore.

Very simple logic, yeah?

Reply to
Eric

You're dead on. For a retrofit, whole house unit, the electrical requirements are the deal breaker for many.

Reply to
Swingman

"-MIKE-" wrote

Do some checking first. The cost of installation on a retrofit can be high as you have to upgrade some of the utilities to accommodate them. For electric, it may even require new service to the house. They are also known to lime up and require a lot of maintenance if you have very hard water. There are other alternatives that may be more cost effective.

===============

Be sure to add in the cost of a flushing system, extra valves, hoses and fittings, buckets, a small pump, and 6-8 gallons of vinegar per year to keep the thing running.

Increased efficiency is a crock with thankless water heaters. Look at the water wasted trying to trigger the heater with enough volume of flow instead of being able to set a slow warm water trickle from the faucet. Most of the water saving faucets have a hard time even triggering these thankless heaters into action.

Reply to
Eric

Mea culpa. Tip of the slung/typo ... that was obviously supposed to be three 240v circuits per unit.

Ever pay to upgrade an existing home to a 300 - 400 Amp service to handle the electrical requirements of a whole house tankless unit?

The decision, and cost effectiveness, is based on many factors, including the ambient temperature of the ground water in your area.

This is the wRec after all, where those who have no experience with a product wax eloquent ....

Reply to
Swingman

You should be turning off the faucet while you scrub. Then it would last. Ditto the shower. Ideally, all shower heads should have a shutoff valve so you could rinse, shut off the water, soap up your hair and bod, then turn on and rinse. It would save at least half the water that is normally used/wasted.

I try to take Navy showers, soaping the front while the back rinses, and I'm outta there in 3 minutes.

Goodonya, mate.

No, it's wasteful.

Yes, that would save billions of gallons of fresh water annually in the U.S. alone.

-- Experience is a good teacher, but she send in terrific bills. -- Minna Thomas Antrim

Reply to
Larry Jaques

OK, so now we have the Single Lever Tax and the Crip Tax. Hmmm, anything else, Mr. Compassionate?

-- Experience is a good teacher, but she send in terrific bills. -- Minna Thomas Antrim

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Logic must yield to experiment. Hot tap water tastes like crap.

Reply to
J. Clarke

Logic must yield to experiment. Hot tap water tastes like crap.

================== It tastes just like water from the kettle.

That is due to minerals being removed, not added, by the heating element. Try flavouring it with ground coffee or tea.

I always use water from the hot tap. It taste's the same for kettle use. This old wives' tale is from the days when some people had artificially softened hot water but were too cheap to soften al their water in the house. The cold water was OK to drink without the added sodium.

Reply to
Eric

You should be turning off the faucet while you scrub. Then it would last. Ditto the shower. Ideally, all shower heads should have a shutoff valve so you could rinse, shut off the water, soap up your hair and bod, then turn on and rinse. It would save at least half the water that is normally used/wasted.

I try to take Navy showers, soaping the front while the back rinses, and I'm outta there in 3 minutes.

Goodonya, mate.

No, it's wasteful.

Yes, that would save billions of gallons of fresh water annually in the U.S. alone.

================

Where will the wasted water go?

Where is it saved?

Reply to
Eric

Ed Pawlowski wrote the following:

  1. My water comes from a well 325' below the surface in the front yard.
  2. My water is filtered as soon as it enters the house.
  3. My filtered water is softened before it gets to the propane water heater.
  4. My hot water doesn't sit very long in the 4 year old heater tank. It is used daily.
  5. My well water has no odor, taste, or color.

For those of you who have city water, what is in those water pipes that probably have been sitting in the ground for decades or longer, and in what condition are those pipes?

Reply to
willshak