OT: Screw Extractor Drill Bit Guide

I like the technique that this guy uses to extract bolts that have broken off inside of a recessed hole.

Spoiler alert! I'll explain the technique after the link if you don't want to watch the video.

... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ...

Spoiler:

He drills a hole through the center of a cap bolt, screws it in and then locks it down with a jam nut. Now he has a drill guide so that he can drill a dead center hole in the broken bolt for a screw extractor.

For smallish holes, he use a Vix bit to center the drill bit.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

On 6/14/2019 8:33 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote: ...

All well and good if it breaks down far enough in the hole...never my luck would be so good. :(

Reply to
dpb

I found it interesting that he had broken bolts in recessed holes in three different types of material. How does that happen?

If they are so easy to get out, why didn't he take them out right after he broke them? Did he save them until he had enough to do a video? ;-)

Reply to
DerbyDad03

I like his idea of drilling holes through bolts of actual thread size but I've never had much of a problem using my spring punch for most types of sheared bolts.

Reply to
Meanie