OT reminder - Keep a close eye on your kids!

I mean people who had nominally (and in most cases actually) 'gone straight'. They weren't committing crimes in any more. (Now one of the guys had been helped to his decision by the fact that he was confined to a wheelchair after he tried to rob the wrong storeowner.) Most of them were addicts who had their addiction at least temporarily under control.

Fortunately, this isn't at all uncommon. According to national statistics something like two-thirds of offenders choose not to re-offend after each incareration. They serve their time, finish out their parole and move on to other things.

Even among the ones that aren't imprisoned, studies indicate that for most people, crime -- especially street crime -- is a temporary activity. If they survive long enough most of them give it up.

Now, would I swear that any of those folks never committed another crime? Not only no, but hell no! I'm sure some of them went back to it. Further, the minority that continue to commit crimes after they've been incarcerated a couple of times are extremely dangerous.

I wouldn't want any of these folks living across the street from me, but the ones who were candid were a very valuable source of information.

rcook5

We had an incident in the public washroom of the local mall, last Sunday. Sexual abuse at knife point. In the Women's washroom, during shopping hours, no less. I don't envy that prick when he gets busted.....and he will. So the topic was on the table. Our young lady agreed to temporarily give up one of her dance classes to take a 'street-proofing' course. She lit up at the thought of having a cell phone. "COOOOL"

We are lucky to have an advantage here. One of our best family friends is a forensic nurse, certified witness etc., for sexual assault and domestic violence. Her brother is the Deputy Chief of Police in this sleepy town of 75,000. So we're 'on it'.

This town is soooo sleepy, Michael Moore (and I am NOT getting into a discussion what *I* think about him), featured our town and mayor in Bowling For Columbine.

So we agree on a street proofing course. A chat with our Nurse friend. A chat with the Deputy. A little young for a Derringer?

Rob

Reply to
Robatoy

You're fukkin' right.

Reply to
Robatoy

[ speechless ] [ thankful ] [ relieved ] [ hoping/praying no father ever has to go thru this. ]
Reply to
patrick conroy

I can't add anything more.

Glad everyone is safe.

Way to go "dad" & God bless you & your family.

Lou

Reply to
loutent

Ours are out of the house, one has a child of his own, so we can't demand they check in that often :-)

Reply to
GregP

Rob.. with family plans, a phone for an additional family member is $20 a month.. (on Verizon, anyway) Assuming that she won't lose it or spend 2,000 hours a month calling her friends, I think it's a good idea to have her carry it.. in an ACCESSABLE place.. If you need a phone in a hurry, digging it out of a backpack or duffle bag doesn't do it.

I think that cell phones may be a deterrent, if the scumbag sees the phone before trying the bad deed..

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

Reply to
mac davis

we can... all 3 have cell phones that we gave them and pay for on the family plan... they had BEST call home.. *g*

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

Reply to
mac davis

My two girls are 1 and 3, and they're currently within sight of either my wife or me all but about 4 hours/week, but thanks for the reminder. You can be sure I'll be putting it into practice with my girls soon. I can't imagine what you're feeling. Just the idea of someone trying to hurt my girls makes me upset. The father who could catch a guy who tried to do this to his children and not want to give him a serious beat down is a better person than me.

Congrats again on drilling in the good information to your daughter. Are you trying to tell me that they actually listen to what we tell them? I've seen no evidence of that so far ;-).

todd

Reply to
Todd Fatheree

Good strategy...

Reply to
GregP

I live in what I thought was a very safe neighborhood. About two weeks ago or so California posted its Megan's Law web site. I found out my next door neighbor is a two time sex offender felon, one of his felonies being forcible rape of a minor under 14. I have a 13 year old daughter. He's listed as 6"5" and 360 lbs. I worry now each day that I leave to work.

Glen

Reply to
Glen

Situational

My kids are out and on their own, but two of three carry cell phones. The male seems less likely to need one, anyway.

Your post is germane to any who have, or have had, kids.

A note on situational awareness: a T ball bat by each entry door is a help, for the nerves even if it's never needed, it is innocuous looking, and there is no problem with wall penetration.

Reply to
Charlie Self

A family near my nephew's house has Jake & Elroy meet the schoolbus to walk home with their 12-year old daughter. She goes for walks when she wants but Jake & Elroy always go with her. Jake & Elroy are brothers.

100 pound Bouviers des Flaundres. They never let her out of their sight... she belongs to them. =0)

Something to be said for that approach, eh?

Rob

Reply to
Robatoy

Don't wait until your child is 11 to get worried about child molesters.

I was only three. THREE.

Reply to
Silvan

You bet ... if you can't trust the Blues Brothers, just who can you trust?

Reply to
Swingman

Ah, so it's a "not active criminal" type, rather than a "not a criminal". Gotcha. Cause that's kind of a "yes or no" question rather than a "used to be" type of thing.

It's the 1/3 who keep doing it that are more of a problem, though.

Well, at least they can conribute something.

Reply to
Dave Hinz

That identifies a huge problem. Just because *I* can't get my head around WHY/HOW in God's name anybody could do such a thing, doesn't mean some sick f*ck feels the same way I do. Our family friend (She's a forensic nurse specializing in sexual and violent domestic crimes.) said to me last night: "Rob, you really don't have any idea what I see in a day's work."

Guilty.

I'm 55. Maybe *I* need some street proofing too?

Reply to
Robatoy

I remember reading that 80% of violent crimes are committed by repeat offenders. Aren't statistics wonderful.

- Doug

Reply to
Doug Winterburn

I guess that's why I won't trust 100% of them.

Reply to
Dave Hinz

Yep. Can't imagine *anyone* messing with two of 'em. Mine is only about 85 pounds, but with all the fur, he looks like a small bear (I've actually had the neighbors call the local cops a coupla times to report a small "bear" in the woods).

Anyone that tries to get near my daughter (she's 5 1/2 now) without my giving the OK is going to have to get through a big, friendly, but very possesive "bear"...... I trained (had him since he was 8 weeks old), and *I* wouldn't want to cross him....

-JD

Reply to
j.duprie