OT: Last time I'll set foot in Home Depot

Unless you have overdraft protection - then you can drain your savings AND checking accounts.

Just because one has a (e.g.) $10000 limit on the card, doesn't mean that you go out and blow ten grand each month on Stuff.

Seems like control is the issue here, and if you have none credit cards do make it a lot easier to go that much further into hock. But, it doesn't change the fact that exercising some control on one's spending is the crux of the matter.

Renata

Reply to
Renata

Swingman responds:

Oh yeah. The Marine Corps calls those guys "mustangs" and if you EVER see one retire higher than major, let me know. Real career limiting move. Better off going for warrant officer, I think.

Charlie Self

"Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft." Theodore Roosevelt

Reply to
Charlie Self

Spoken like a peace time REMF. F*ck the "career limiting moves" ... the whole idea is what the difference would be in a _combat_ situation, but then you'd had to have been in one to understand.

Reply to
Swingman

Jesus. Someone piss in your soup, asshole?

If not, I hope they do soon.

The point I was trying to make, which you entirely missed in your snide and snotty way, is that the competence level is extreme, but the guys generally get screwed over by the service.

I'll see you some decade.

Charlie Self

"Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft." Theodore Roosevelt

Reply to
Charlie Self

Can you send me the plans? I would like to build one for my SIL. Yeah, unlike 'he who shall remain nameless' (HWSRN), I sometimes use plans. Regards, Hank

Reply to
Henry St.Pierre

Sorry, it was a 96 Bonneville. I sometimes don't know the year or what day of the week it is. Sometime after the sale, we got a letter from the GM credit card people advising us that they were going to change the terms of the credit card agreement as it related to the rebate on GM vehicles. I don't remember the terms exactly, but we would be limited to $500 a year (rebate credit). The reason given is that we did not carry a balance on our card, but paid the balance each month. I guess to them we were deadbeats. Regards, Hank

Reply to
Henry St.Pierre

Funny how credit card companies dislike those of us who pay off their credit cards in full every month. I'm surprised they don't try charging us a fee for that.

Reply to
Joe Shmoe

I know one that retired as a full colonel. Incidentally, at one point he was in command of _all_ the Marines in Viet Nam, except those on Embassy duty.

Reply to
Robert Bonomi

Robert Bonomi responds:

Good. It's nice to know the prejudice against former enlisted wasn't universal. All those I ever met who stayed in retired as captains: I had only heard about a couple retiring as majors.

Charlie Self

"Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft." Theodore Roosevelt

Reply to
Charlie Self

Ahh ... I hit the nail smack on the head, I see. Your problem, Self, is that you mistake your own sarcasm for wit.

Reply to
Swingman

I have a GM Card and Citibank card and have not carried a balance ever...I still get the same benefits..

Reply to
Leon

I do that ALL the time... I worked directly with GM from 1978 to 1995 and thought that I had gotten in on the ground floor when the GM Card came out...

Sometime after the sale, we got a letter from the

IIRC it went from $750 for 5 years maximum to $500 and 7 years...or something like that.

Reply to
Leon

On 26 Sep 2003 17:15:37 GMT, Robert Bonomi responds:

Does that mean NOBODY in the military has a career (or is happy in their job) if they aren't a Major or higher?!?

Corporate ladders are for greedy, capitalist peegs.

-- Music washes away from the soul the dust of everyday life. ---- --Unknown

Reply to
Larry Jaques

For what? I send my payments on time and I don't have any problems. And if I was late on one, I wouldn't come here whining about it.

Reply to
Frank Ketchum

The credit card companies don't mind at all. They still get the percentage they charge the retailer for the credit card sale, which by the way is passed on to the consumer through higher pricing.

-- Jack Novak Buffalo, NY - USA

Reply to
Nova

Larry Jaques asks:

No. It means there's a basic prejudice against enlisted men getting a direct commission.

There are plenty of useful careers in the enlisted ranks. And at least today, the get a decent wage.

Charlie Self

"Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft." Theodore Roosevelt

Reply to
Charlie Self

Let's explain Usenet s-l-o-w-l-y: Not all posts propagate at the same rate. I did not see your claim that debit cards have the same safety vis a vis fraud as credit cards unti *after* I posted the above.

Does this also include bounced check charges and other deadbeat fees if a thief cleans out your checking account with a stolen debit card? Not asking to be a wise-acre, I'm genuinely curious as to how far they cover.

Reply to
Mark & Juanita

A good part of the percentage the retailer pays is taken up by processing charges. The card issuer usually doesn't process the credit card transaction, but has a third party do it. In the case of GM, when I first got the credit card (I don't recall the year) the rebate limit was quite high or maybe unlimited. GM was counting on the interest earned on the credit cards to offset the rebates. In my case the rebate was about $3600 IIRC. I don't think they changed the terms of the rebate because of just me not maintaining a balance, but because of many, many others also not maintaining a balance. Regards, Hank

Reply to
Henry St.Pierre

Ignorance noted.

The military has an "up or out" policy which, depending on the needs of the service, requires promotion to O-4 (LtCdr or Major) to reach the minimum retirement term unless one has prior service.

Of course, ignorance can be funny, too. Might want to put that on one of your t-shirts.

Reply to
George

It dosen't get "cleaned out". As soon as you dispute the charge, the money is replaced, fees are refunded, etc... This exact thing happened to me and my credit union was awesome to deal with. Mu card was lost, and I didn't even know it was lost until I started getting overdraft notices in the mail. I have overdraft protection, so nothing was rejected.

Should the charge be proven to be yours, the fees, money, etc... are instantly removed from your account.

If the card owner was stupid enough to do something like write the PIN on the card, and the purchase was made as a debit, with the PIN, you can probably kiss the money goodbye.

If the purchase was made as a credit card, even if the card is a debit only version with the Visa logo, all Visa value added services apply.

Visa usually recovers illegally charged money from the merchant that accepted the card, via charge backs. The merchant is required to verify signatures, even though most don't.

Barry

Reply to
B a r r y B u r k e J r .