OT: Last time I'll set foot in Home Depot

I did - called all three of my card companies. Thanks. None charge Late Fee's.

Reply to
mttt

Thanks - I did that, sort'a. He offered to remove the fee. I said "No" since, according to my sense of what's honest and fair, it was my mistake. I just asked him to cancel my account and note my objection.

Reply to
mttt

And I'll take back all of those nasty things I said about the City... :)

Reply to
mttt

This is the same experience I had when I bought my 1986 Bonneville. Nobody at the dealership was aware of my GM rebate until we closed on the car. IIRC I also got $3,600 off the total. Regards, Hank

Reply to
Henry St.Pierre

Ever have three children under two in the house? Some mornings I wake up and realize I missed yesterday's lunch and dinner.

Reply to
mttt

Thanks Jim. I did check all of my other cards, and all three are quite proud of their Grace period. Yep, I'll take this one squarely on the chin.

I do have a "wooden tray". Worked great for dozens of years. Now it's buried under Toddler PJ's and Diapers. :)

Reply to
mttt

Because a debit card has a limit of the amount of money you have in the bank. Once it's gone, you can't buy anything else. It doesn't stop you from making stupid purchases, but it does stop you from running up a tab doing it.

Reply to
Brian Henderson

So, how is a debit card less stupid than a credit card? Are you saying that it is less stupid to drain your checking account and then break down in your car out of town with no credit card and an empty bank account?

Reply to
Leon

86 Bonneville? I was not aware that (a) the card was available then or (b) it was good for used cars... Was it maybe a 96 model? ;~)
Reply to
Leon

Thu, Sep 25, 2003, 11:32am (EDT+4) someone snipped-for-privacy@microsoft.com (George) says: As a properly identified 2LT home on leave, I once had to get my mom to vouch for my _travelers' checks_ at a local establishment.

Ah, well, if you hadn't identified yourself as a 2LT, you probably wouldn't have needed your mother to vouch for you. Well known fact,

2LTs shouldn't be allowed out without a leash, and at least one keeper. In fact, the most dangerous thing in the world is a 2LT with a map.

JOAT If history repeats itself, I should think we can expect the same thing again.

- Terry Venables

Life just ain't life without good music. - JOAT Web Page Update 25 Sep 2003. Some tunes I like.

Jack-of-all-trades - JOAT

mttt, Reading your replies to all of the posts on this newsgroup leads me to believe you act with good intentions.

What confused me was the subject: you will never set foot in another HD.

I can appreciate your frustration with the HD Credit Card experience, but I don't see how that translates into never buying anything from them again. (There may be many other reasons not to shop HD, but I don't expect their Credit Card company's policies towards deadbeats to be high on the list).

Anyway, it sounds like everything worked out. mikey.

mttt wrote:

Reply to
EmbErna

Thu, Sep 25, 2003, 9:59pm (EDT+4) snipped-for-privacy@microsoft.com (mttt) puts out: Someone else said this... "Bunk." I'm well into the second half of my life, managed my finances quite well. Complete w/ cards. You must live a very different life. Credit cards are *unavoidable* in my world. When's the last time you had to rent a car? Ever order a new Starrett Combination Square from Amazon? Always pay cash? Every buy a house? A car? I do appreciate you taking the time to share the advice.

ROTFLMAO

Well, I hope I'm still in the first half of my life, at 62. Managed my finances quite well too. Most of the time. Divorce did a number tho, as well as a few other things. Cancer, my son being in an accident. You know, unimportasnt stuff. Some things you can't plan for. And, yeah, credit cards too. And, if I hadn't had cards, the divorce would have been a Hell of a lot less traumatic, because I had to pay off all those bills, big bills. Which in itself, created some more hardships. Oh yeah, the cancer, accident, misc other stuff, any payments either deducted from my checking account, or payment sent, no credit card involved.

Of course I lead a different life. I lead my own life. Quite satisfactory too.

Credit cards are certainly avoidable in my world. Last time I rented a car? Hmm, about 1977 as I recall. Had one Hell of a time doing it too, even with a credit card - in the Army at the time, and they didn't want to rent to military, even career military. However, the last time I rented a truck was either early this year, or last year, I believe. Ever order a new Starrett Combination Square from Amazon? Nope. Had one for about 30 years, not a Starrett. But, last time I ordered something else from Amazon was, either early this year, or late last year. Need a credit card for either? Nope. Did my debit card work in both cases? You betcha.

Do I always pay cash? Nope. Sometimes I use my debit card, which amounts to the same thing. Or make what I want. Or trade. Or even get given something. Ever buy a house? Yep, and it's 100% paid for. A car? Not for many, many years. However, I did buy several trucks. Paid cash, or payments, no credit cards involved.

You're willing to accept the risk that you'll be able to use, and pay off, your credit card each month, and not go into credit card debt. I'm not.

And, you say: I do appreciate you taking the time to share the advice.

OK, I can share some advice. Don't let anyone, anyone at all, even your wife, use a credit card that is in your name.

You guys advising other people to use a credit card, and pay it off every month, so you don't have any interest charges. If that works for you, or you think it does, fine, up to you. But don't advise someone else that it's a good idea. I've known people who did that, for awhile. Last I knew of one, he had over $33,000 in credit card debt. Another, was doing that too, then divorce. I don't know how deep he sunk in credit card debt, but it wasn't shallow.

JOAT If history repeats itself, I should think we can expect the same thing again.

- Terry Venables

Life just ain't life without good music. - JOAT Web Page Update 25 Sep 2003. Some tunes I like.

Jack-of-all-trades - JOAT

Nah. Most dangerous thing in the world is a 2nd Lt. with a map and a helicopter. I dunno how long that pilot's course is, but those guys could scare the crap out of Evel Knievel.

Charlie Self

"Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft." Theodore Roosevelt

Reply to
Charlie Self

Or, for the safety of a credit card (thieves can't clean out your account if they get hold of a CC), treat your credit card like a debit card.

Reply to
Mark & Juanita

No, credit cards are tools. Tools can be misused and do tremendous damage to those who misuse them, but that does not make them stupid. As with tools, accidents can and do happen, but that does not mean that everyone who owns that particular tool should get rid of it because someone else got hurt.

Reply to
Mark & Juanita

On Fri, 26 Sep 2003 03:31:24 GMT, Mark & Juanita Crawled out of the shop and said. . .:

snip

snip

very true,,,i had one almost take off my finger, and then i designed the "card guard " (tm me) overarm credit guard and coupon collector, and put one, along with a set of "card buddies" and a credit outfeed table on my wallet.

i cannot tell you how many times these things have saved my fingers while trying to use my credit cards.

*VBSEG* T
Reply to
Traves W. Coppock

Helicopters scare me, too. I know they're only doing 150 or so, but it seemed so much faster than when did it doing 500 at 300' in a proper aircraft.

I had a line # for E-6 when I decided if I were to stay the course, I'd make more money as a butterbar and beyond. Plead insanity.

Reply to
George
.

===================================================== A debit card is the same as writing a check (with NO FLOAT) or slapping your cash down at the cash register ... in either case if the car breaks down on the way home has absolutely nothing to do with the initial use of cash or the debit card...

Using Cash, Checks, or debit cards are in my mind the same thing.. (Spending money I already have) Use of a Credit Card is taking out a loan, which requires you to pay interest if you do not pay off the balance when the mailman delivers the bill.

Personally I usually do not carry more then 50-60 bucks in my pocket and make most of my purchases with a debit card... BUT I do carry a "few" credit cards that I do use mostly on the 3rd Blue Moon of every other month.... BUT I pay the balance off the day after I receive the bill in the mail...

BTW the licience plates on one of may cars reads.... (IO NO 1) ....... which really means I earned my "toys" the old fashion way.. thru my own hard work...

Bob Griffiths

Reply to
Bob G

Let's say this again, s-l-o-w-l-y.

You have NO more liability with a debit card if it's stolen than a credit card.

ALL Visa branded cards have ZERO liability, same as the credit version.

Barry

Reply to
B a r r y B u r k e J r .

Not all 2LT's are created equal ... an OCS 2LT could draw the map if he needed to. Amazing what being enlisted will do for you before those butter bars mess with your head.

Reply to
Swingman