OT internet service provider question

We are moving this weekend and just found out there is no high speed internet service available through the telephone or cable companies for our home. I have looked at a few dish internet providers but would like some feedback from others on which one to go with.

Reply to
CM

I am in the same boat. I went with verizon wireless because we have a cell tower close by. I can now use it with the laptop on the road or my kyocera router at home and share it with my other computers. It's not as fast as cable or DSL but it's better than dialup.

Reply to
Jody

My boss moved to an area without broadband service and originally got the satellite service. The latency and upstream speeds were horrible. If you primarily do large downloads it works ok but send email or web surfing were barley above dial-up speed. He ended up getting Sprint mobile broadband.

/BT\

Reply to
zakal

Satellite internet is not worth a crap. Save your money!!

Reply to
Dave

We moved to an area that also did not have high speed. We looked at satellite and wlmost fainted when we saw the cost of it WOW!!

So, I started calling Bell South - now ATT about once a month, and going to their website and kept pestering and pestering. I even offered in a letter to bake the President a dozen cookies.. well, it took a year, but by gosh, we have DSL now! And that was before the takeover by ATT.

So, I say, keep on em, eventually they'll hear you.

No cable company or anythin aye? Us too. But the satellite TV is pretty cool. Kate O|||||||O

Reply to
Kate

Do you need speed? If so, you will probably be dissappointed with sattellite. There is a lag, referred to as latency, with the signal being bounced off of the sattellite.

Since I need a fast connection, nailing down that is the first consideration if I were to move.

If speed is not a consideration, then go with what is available.

Reply to
Lee Michaels

Check out clarkhoward.com for rural broadband alternatives.

**
**

B A R R Y

"no high speed internet service available"

Geeze, how will you ever survive?

Maybe you had better reconsider moving at all.

After all, if you "just found out" about the HSI, God only knows what other things you failed to check up on before agreeing to pull up stakes and move to whatever backwater wasteland. Do they have running water? indoor plumbing? Public Schools? A Police Department?

You'll get by on Netscape for $6.95/month or NetZero for $9.95. When we moved to the hills we found we didn't have to subscribe to a long distance carrier and didn't. Stuck an antenna on the chimney and used the last guy's cable tv wires to feed all the TVs from that. I came up on BBS and 1200 BAUD Modems. Get along fine on dial-up.

We are moving this weekend and just found out there is no high speed

"
Reply to
Hoosierpopi

You got along fine when programs were smaller, less data was floating around and background information to get a screen to load was miniscule compared to minimum necessities in this day and age. Using a 1200 baud modem as an example is absolutely ridiculous considering that one would fail completely in any platform currently used.

Reply to
Upscale

Let us know how that works out if you'd like to try out a downloadable demo, like Cutlist or Sketchup, install a service pack, or use ITunes to get podcasts and music. Broadband is worth it's weight in gold to me simply for the way it delivers all of my favorite radio programs to my IPod each evening!

To the OP: If you get a decent cellular signal at the house, look into high-speed data via the cell phone carriers in the area. In some areas with no broadband, Verizon and Sprint, and to a lesser extent, AT&T offer wireless data that can connect to your PC. This is not to be confused surfing the 'net with a phone.

**
**

B A R R Y

High-speed access is now deemed "necessary" enough that it can become a huge political football, often used to differentiate the "haves" from the "have not's". I work for a telecomm company who is often subject to legislation, on state and federal levels, that forces us to provide certain broadband services in certain locations in exchange for access to more lucrative markets.

Real estate developers frequently arrange for service before they start anything other than a low-end project, because they know many buyers will want high-speed access. Real estate agents will tell you that people will choose one street over another based on broadband availability, and actually state "lack of broadband availability" as the reason for passing on a home.

Personally, I'd give up TV, broadcast radio, and a landline phone in seconds.

Give up broadband? No way!

I'll be on the front lawn with a shotgun.

**
**

B A R R Y

We've been with Hughesnet for a little over a month and it's VERY hard to get used to... We got the slowest speed because even it was $60 a month, but the range of speed and connection/drop is all over the map..

You can go from slower than dial-up to what seems as fast as our cable in the States, and back again, in seconds.. watching the speed fluctuate when downloading a large file is amazing..

OTOH, all in all it's better than a dial-up and can be run through our router to share with the neighbors...

Sort of gives "wish upon a star" a whole new meaning..

OH.... Hughes is the only ISP I've had that doesn't have a news server, so I had to provide my own to get this newsgroup..

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

Reply to
mac davis

What's interesting with our sat. system is that SOME things fly.. I can be having trouble getting web pages to load or retrieving messages from a newsgroup, and my wife can be outside on her notebook, using slower wireless, and doing chat with a web cam with no lag or buffering problems.. weird..

I tried for 2 days to d/load a anti-virus update of 5 megs... took 4 HOURS to get it.. The next day I d/loaded a 12.5 meg program in less that 3 minutes... ya just never know..lol

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

Reply to
mac davis

I got along fine on a hand brace and bit.... Having an IQ above room temperature, I jumped at the chance of upgrading to a power drill...

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

Reply to
mac davis

yep know that.

Reply to
Steve knight

Before DSL came to our area, I had DirecPC. Best thing I can say about it is that it is faster than dial-up. It is slower than DSL. As long as you don't exceed the download limits. If you do so, they will throttle you down below dial-up speeds. I'm not sure what the limit was, but I could never download something like Linux iso files. If you have problems with the system, prepare to spend a lot of time on hold and work hard to decipher Eastern Indian accents. Be prepared to go through endless solution scripts with them before they finally elevate you to another level of support that might actually be able to help you solve the problem.

I know that one of the other satellite providers applies the limit on a monthly basis, so if you use up your bandwidth early in the month, you are throttled down through the remainder of the billing period.

Reply to
Mark & Juanita

Reply to
Ben Phlat

another is

charlie

"mac davis" wrote in messag

I set my rural based parents up on HughesNet last year and so far they've no complaints after the initial setup marathon. But they were on dialup AOL before that, so when you're used to canned meat a hamburger can seem like a feast.

IIRC, they're paying around $80/month.

Having gone from 300 baud to thinking 14.4 was blazing, then ISDN, DSL, T1 and now cable, I don't want to contemplate life without broadband ... how soon we forget.

Makes that BIG shop, way out in the peaceful countryside, seem a little less appealing.

Reply to
Swingman

Yep, you're exceeding your FAP (fair access policy) rate, you then get throttled *way* down (to less than dial-up speeds) when you do that.

In my other response, I forgot about that detail. Up until April 2003, they had Usenet, then decided that "nobody uses Usenet anymore" and dropped it to free up resources for more "advanced" features. At the time I left Hughesnet, those more advanced features included deleting the music streaming that they used to include on their web page without any download penalties and wanting to force people to upgrade to the latest modem before they would provide additional download speed at a reasonable cost. I was told that I could get more speed on my existing modem if I wanted to pay (IIRC more than $20 per month more for going from 700k to 1M speed), it would have only been $10 per month more if I had upgraded to the newest modem. This would have been the third modem model since 2001.

Reply to
Mark & Juanita