OT: I need a 10" wet tile saw

Any recommendations? I'm not knowledgeable of the better tile saw brands, for under $400-$500.

I need to cut about 400 brick and the cheapest estimate, from several masons, is $1.50 per brick.

I see this one: On EBay for $294. Sears and other outlets have it for $350. Amazon has it for $326:

Thanks for any help. Sonny

Reply to
Sonny

Doug Winterburn

Harbor Freight has decent ones for $265+-...

Do you really need 10"? I prefer bridge saws and they have two 7"...one at $187.99 which cuts - they say - up to 1 1/8. I own it and I'm sure it will cut thicker than that but can't check at the moment. I like the saw but not so much the fence; especially, I don't like the fact that there is no stop to make repetitive width cuts. Not hard to make a work around though.

For $50 more they have another bridge saw that has a better fence and decent stop.

Needless to say, all are always available at 25% less with a coupon from an ad or the web.

I see you want to cut brick so 10" it is. FWIW, the saw that my current saw replaced was also a HF bridge, bought it in '99, made 1000s of cuts, motor bearings gave out last spring.

Reply to
dadiOH

When I remodeled our bathrooms, I bought this one fro Harbor Freight.

It's not Cadillac but it cut great with a diamond blade. I think I bought it just over $200 with a 20% off coupon and sold it on Craigslist for $150. So I basically got a 6 month rental on the thing for 50 bucks.

They have a 90 day return policy do no risk on your part.

Reply to
-MIKE-

But it is only a 7 incher. He thinks he needs a 10"

Reply to
clare

Oh, gotcha!

Reply to
-MIKE-

------------------------------------------------------------- According to my son, the best tool he ever bought was a diamond blade for all the tile work he did rehabing baths and kitchen.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

A standard brick is 2 1/4" thick. A circular saw with a 7" blade should just barely be able to make the cut.

Reply to
Just Wondering

On Tue, 23 Sep 2014 01:11:41 -0600, Just Wondering

Wouldn't that put a hell of a lot of stress on a 7" blade?

Reply to
upscale

The HF 10" looked promising, but I'm hesitant about some HF products. The HF saw doesn't come with the stand or a blade. We need to cut pavers, i.e. , transverse cuts, not crosscuts. I bought the QEP Brutus

I used the $15 discount code, 15Easy, and with free shipping the total was $381.49.

That cheaper mason's estimate of $1.50 was for labor, only. He said he wo uldn't use his saw, because of the strain on the saw, so he'd rent a saw, w hich I would pay in addition to the labor fee.

We're paving a garage, 20' X 40', and the entrance will be sloped, hence th e cutting of some brick.

I didn't know, before now, that mortar, for brick-on-concrete, needs to be "N" type mortar. There is an "S" type mortar for stone-on-concrete (We ha d entertained using flagstone). I hadn't known, until now, there are diff erent types of mortar for different types of mason work.

*The brickyard wanted $5 per brick, to cut them. After some talk, they tol d me they, themselves, don't cut them, but send them to someone else, to be cut. They did have thin 3/4" pavers already cut, but we need/want other ( custom cut, thicker) sizes, as well, rather than build the slope with addit ional mortar under thin pavers. **When I poured the driveway for the shop, I rented a walk-behind saw to cu t additional expansion joints. That rental fee ended up being $350+: $54 saw rental (I think) and a cost for the blade. I wasn't aware of, nor was told of, that additional saw blade charge, when I inquired/negotiated the renting, at that time.

Sonny

Reply to
Sonny

Hello Sonny, I bought a nice saw from Harbor Freight. At first I thought, it was a mistake. I have used it over and over again, and it has paid for itself! It is a brick/block/tile saw with a 10" wet blade. The unit works fine, and comes with a collapsible stand. The pump unit works well, and the slides on the saw are exceptional. Yes, it has plastic housing, and such, but the saw works well and is a bargain. Look up Harbor Freight Tile and Brick saw..... John

Any recommendations? I'm not knowledgeable of the better tile saw brands, for under $400-$500.

I need to cut about 400 brick and the cheapest estimate, from several masons, is $1.50 per brick.

I see this one: On EBay for $294. Sears and other outlets have it for $350. Amazon has it for $326:

Thanks for any help. Sonny

Reply to
jloomis
2.5 Horsepower 10 in. Industrial Tile/Brick Saw Chicago Electric Power Tools Professional Series - item#69275

Read 72 Reviews Write a Review Cuts Large Size Tiles and Bricks Bookmark and Share

Only: $399.99 Sale: $264.99 Qty:

Any recommendations? I'm not knowledgeable of the better tile saw brands, for under $400-$500.

I need to cut about 400 brick and the cheapest estimate, from several masons, is $1.50 per brick.

I see this one: On EBay for $294. Sears and other outlets have it for $350. Amazon has it for $326:

Thanks for any help. Sonny

Reply to
jloomis

At that same time, I bought their grinder and put a good diamond cutting disc on it. Man, I use that for everything now. Goggles recommended, of course... DAMHIKT :-)

I've seen tile guys forgo the tile saws altogether and opt to freehand with grinders. The good one are remarkably adept with them. I can't tell the saw cuts from their freehand grinder cuts.

Reply to
-MIKE-

Just remember to consider everything fron Harbor Fright - and anything else Chinese, as a potentially partly assembled KIT and you are OK. Be ready to totally re-assemble it to make it functional. Every once in a while you get something fully and properly assembled - but consider that a BONUS when it happens.

Reply to
clare

Just remember to consider everything fron Harbor Fright - and anything else Chinese, as a potentially partly assembled KIT and you are OK. Be ready to totally re-assemble it to make it functional. Every once in a while you get something fully and properly assembled - but consider that a BONUS when it happens.

Reply to
jloomis

---------------------------------------------- The quality of HF tools is strictly device specific.

Hand held electric tools are questionable.

I can and have destroyed those 4" right angle sander/grinder that sells for about $10 in a half a day or less working on fiberglass.

If you paid me $10 to take one, it would not be worth my time to go get it.

The Fein multi-tool knock off may be ok, but having the Fein, I'll stick with it and replace it with another Fein when the time comes.

Their sand blaster is a loser.

OTOH, their hand held pneumatic tools seem to be more than adequate.

Just another point of view.

No comment on stationary power tools.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

There are tools that I'll buy at HF but a *lot* more that I wouldn't use if they were given to me (and several that I have bought that will never use again). I'm pretty careful with what I buy and that tile saw is one of them that I have bought. Very nice.

Reply to
krw

"Lew Hodgett" wrote in news:5421eb05$0$44819 $c3e8da3$ snipped-for-privacy@news.astraweb.com:

That's the value of a forum like this. Harbor Freight is very variable - much of what they sell is crap, some of what they sell is a great bargain. It's places like this where people can share experiences, that you learn which products are the bargains.

John

(who thinks all of HF's drill bits, saw blade, etc are "use-once" quality)

Reply to
John McCoy

Forgive me, I do appreciate high quality tools and despise Harbor Freight. On the other hand, when a tool is needed(one time basis), and an expensive tool is not required..... Most Brick and tile saws. can go into the 700.00 range and even up to

3000.00 I looked online for several days.....I found this tool, figured out that it may work, and took the risk. Voila.....it paid for itself......and also by chance has worked well for many other jobs, that just came up. Now, if I continue on with this work........I would love to purchase the right tool, and a well built one. That being said, spending 280.00 on a tool that worked out well, and still does, if a bargain. I hate the disposable world of tools also. It is a shame that most repairs now a days, almost equal the cost of the new one...... john