OT: Hand/Twist "Garden Tiller"

Bill wrote: I need to remove a whole bunch of really annoying viney weeds which someone else planted in my  flower beds (they may have been "cute" at one time) --now it's time for all of them to go.   I see that it has been 9 weeks since I made my post above. In a dedicated way, I worked all of the soil and removed virtually all of the annoying viney weeds.  But we have had a lot of rain since then.. Now I am facing "new growth"--at least several kinds of weeks (not the original viney ones), almost 3 feet high and fairly dense. I've got 2 sessions in, one more to finish again.   My wife suggested a "tarp" so we/I don't have to deal with them in another 9 weeks. I was thinking of some "hens and chicks" as groundcover, but it will take years for them to spread (and they are pricey on a per-each basis).   My dad showed me, when I was a youngster, that they spread very effectively.    I am also thinking about mulch.  Will that adequately take care of my problems?  Other ideas?  Sell the house?  ; ) Thanks Bill P.S. Concerning my new Spading Fork.  Why do they even make them with 3 foot handles like the one I bought (for kids or short people)?   I regret not buying one with a good 5 foot handle, for the leverage. I still really like it compared to the shovel.  They both have their place.

Reply to
Bill

Don't forget the Preen. You may never stop fighting the vines if they seeded the grounds...

Mart> Bill wrote:

Reply to
Martin Eastburn

Add chickens if you want one more thing to worry about. Lay down a tarp to cut the sun light and nothing will grow.

Reply to
Leon

True, nothing will grow, but the chickens will eventually begin to smell bad.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

I've got 3 large "hens and chicks" which I hope will colonize the area, at least a lot of it! ; )

Reply to
Bill

I've never found preen to work. My wife would always swear by it, but we always worked hard at removing the weeds after.

Reply to
woodchucker

Depending on the variety of Hens and Chicks you have, you may need to help it along if you want it to spread. Read more about it here:

DerbyDad03

Thank you. That link is very helpful. I hope my soil isn't "too good" for them. Since they will be on a 10 foot diameter "mound"which is perhaps 1 foot high, that should help with drainage.

Reply to
Bill

It is only for seeds. It inhibits germination. Roots keep growing.

Grass seed in gardens next to the grass is prime.

Mart> >> Don't forget the Preen. You may never stop fighting the vines if

Reply to
Martin Eastburn

elp it along if you want it to spread. Read more about it here:

I can speak to drainage issues first, well second, hand.

SWMBO runs a greenhouse at a farm that is used as a day-hab for disabled ad ults. She has hens and chicks growing in an old sink as a decoration. She w as having problems with them until she realized that they were getting too much water from the timer-based sprinkler system. She moved the sink to a d ryer zone and they are doing quite well now.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

They should be happy here, if they don't mind the direct sunlight. It's raining here today, so I'll move them in within the next couple of days. My experience with hens and chicks has 2 elements:

- They grew well where I grew up in the midwest, which in retrospect had a somewhat sandy soil in general.

- Someone gave me a pot of them a long while back as a gift, and I enjoyed them as an apartment dweller in 3 states. I took good care of them and they grew well and they eventually outgrew their pot. So I bought them a bigger container and some "decent" potting soil which I mixed with some dirt. In a few days they turned to "mush" and I discarded them. Sort of hurt my feelings....

Each of these experiences are consistent with the link that you sent.

Cheers, Bill

Reply to
Bill