OT - Government Inspired Fuel Cans + PIA

Remember when fuel cans were simple? Pop the cap off the end, tip it and fuel went into your mower. I recently had to buy a couple of replacements. The ones with the push-lock device, short spout and lever actuated valve (WalMart specials).

What the hell are they good for? The spout is too short to reach most mower or auto gas ports, without attaching a hose. The lever is pretty much inoperable without an attached hose.

Longer spout?

Bitch bitch bitch.

Now I'll go back to building something.

Reply to
RonB

Neil Brooks

It's a flame arrester in case you try to pour gasoline on a bonfire. You can thank Dan Rather.

's for the children.

Reply to
HeyBub

piece of hose and clamp (that now must be chased down), it would have worked much better.

Reply to
RonB

Ran out of gas, in a parking lot after 10pm one night, had to walk three miles in the rain along a busy street with no sidewalk to an open gas station. That's the only type can they had ... three miles back, in the rain, only to have to perform surgery on the can, in the dark, for another 30 minutes, with a multi-tool (thank buddha I keep one in the truck), in the dark, in order to ultimately get about half of the contents into the truck's gas tank, in the dark ... the rest on the ground.

Bastards ...

Reply to
Swingman

Man, if you think that those suck, try the other version out there (K-Mart and Lowes sell them) They only have a push lock which is basically a spout with a little lip or edge about 1/3 of the way down. The idea is you put the spout into the hole inside of your car's gas filler tube. The lip catches and then you press down. This releases the mechanism that allows the fuel to flow. When you let up a little it springs shut and stops the flow of gasoline. It works pretty poorly in a car, but just try it in a lawn mower (or much worse on a rocking boat) where there is no inside lip in the filler tube to catch the lip on the spout and you can't function them if you attach an extender hose. I MUCH prefer the ones that you describe with at least a lever to actuate the valve.

Reply to
Dave Hall

Gawd you sound like my wife.

-DS

Reply to
Dudley Hewitt Squat

Further, the damn nozzle goes so far into the tank and blocks so much of the filler on the lawn mower or pressure washer or snow blower or whatever that you can't tell how much gas you've put in until it overflows.

One wants to believe that there is a special place in Hell for the sort of government bureaucrats who come up with this crap.

Reply to
J. Clarke

I hacked the end of mine off and baught a tranny funnel .No more pissing around. Jerry

Jerry - OHIO

Isn't it a federal crime to defeat, tamper, or modify a mandated safety feature?

Reply to
HeyBub

On Thu, 21 Jan 2010 01:25:28 -0500, the infamous snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (Jerry - OHIO) scrawled the following:

What, it wasn't happy just being a male funnel?

Reply to
Larry Jaques

I wish the people who developed these standards had to use the equipment that the standards apply for a month before the standards become official.

I wonder who owns the patients for these devices that are being required, or who the person that has the patient owns.

Reply to
Keith Nuttle

Gore?

Reply to
Chuck

Brain bleach! Brain bleach!

Reply to
Doug Miller

Keith Nuttle wrote in news:hj9m4k$103$ snipped-for-privacy@speranza.aioe.org:

*snip*

A month isn't long enough. A year would be better. A month can easily pass without the need to put gas in a mower or snow blower.

Puckdropper

Reply to
Puckdropper

"Jerry - OHIO" wrote

Ouch, didn't that hurt?

Reply to
Lee Michaels

RonB wrote in news:75e6f62e-efdd-4aa0-87e7- snipped-for-privacy@21g2000yqj.googlegroups.com:

So that's why they all switched to the Blitz manufactured cans. The ones I've gotten have all had a plastic extension that came with the can, but in most cases it's useless.

A lot of the various fuel fills seem to encourage spilling gas, and some of encourage spilling it on the person filling the tank! The new push lock devices don't help, especially when filling 10 gallon tanks with a 5 gallon can. (Oh, and a word of caution: They don't handle being upside down very well.)

Puckdropper

Reply to
Puckdropper

Guessing you don't own one of the PIA devices :^}

Reply to
RonB

nza.aioe.org:

Put them in the same category of folks who develop the hard plastic product packaging. Doom them to an afterlife of having to use their brainchilds on a continuous basis..........forever!

No scissors or knives for the plastic packagers. No hose or funnels for the gas can geniuses.

Reply to
RonB

The thing that caught my attention was the subject line "Government Inspired."

I think it was "inspired" by citizens who were concerned with they reported accidents involving gas and other flammable materials over the years.

Private Industry brought us the Pinto Crematoriums that immolated the occupants in a rear-end crash as the impact froze the doors closed, broke the gas tank and flooded the passenger area with fuel as a consequence of several design failures that Ford decided were cheaper to settle on a case by case basis than to recall the existing cheap Pintos that were so prone to the particular failure and horrific consequences.

While we are on the subject, a small gloat. I had an old Gerry Can with a rusted flex spout and saw the new version at a hardware store in NC - for $50!

I took the company name off the new can and called the company to ask if I could buy "just the spout."

Three days later, I had one on my doorstep - no charge!

It pays to ask.

Reply to
Hoosierpopi