OT: Free Range Children - With a little woodworking

We got that system down to a science at our house. NO reality shows. That's not a 'law', just that none of us gives a shit. We wait for movies to hit the 5 dollar bin at Whatever store. We trade with friends and neighbours. The odd download from free and legal sources. We actively support live theatre from Detroit to Toronto and school-house smalltime productions in between. The button that gets the most work is the mute button if and when we watch anything 'live' on TV. 'Live' TV is mostly TLC, History, Discovery, NG and PBS. We like Bones, and Criminal Minds. We buy those.

=============================================== Season 5 of Criminal Minds out yet? I left a 'notify me' on Amazon but haven't seen anything from them yet. I'd like to pick up a used copy of 'Six Feet Under' Cheap somewhere. Have rented season 1 and found it hilarious.

Reply to
Lobby Dosser

=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D

Six feet under is a great show. It gets way better; you're in for a treat.

Reply to
Robatoy

On Wed, 14 Jul 2010 06:37:00 -0700 (PDT), Robatoy wrote the following:

Over the past 10 years: Bones, NCIS, CSI (not NY or FL), Fringe, Sanctuary, and House have been the only TV-based shows I've watched, but definitely not on TV whenever possible. I tried the DVDs of the first couple seasons of Lost and got bored quickly, despite the charms of Evangeline Lily and Emilie de Ravin, Yunjin Kim, and Maggie Grace.

I burned out on the History Channel (watched 'em all) and SciFi (now SyFy, egad) channel went braindead long ago. I miss PBS episodes of "Nature" with George whassisname narrating. Those were fantastic.

Netflix, 2 at a time, $12.99/mo. No commercials, no crap, no time limits. I return 99.9% of them the next day, so it works out to 16 movies a month, which is cheaper than RedBox, even!

Reply to
Larry Jaques

I enjoy Entourage as a mindless piece of entertainment. I like Top Gear as well (BBC)

Reply to
Robatoy

On Wed, 14 Jul 2010 20:52:27 -0700, "CW" wrote the following:

Sure, complete with commercials and noise on HULU. My sister uses that one and I tried it once, very briefly, and ran away screaming! ;)

BTW, I meant "come out on DVD and are available from Netflix." I don't buy most series DVDs. Buffy was the only one, 3 years' episodes for $20, delivered.

Reply to
Larry Jaques

On Wed, 14 Jul 2010 21:18:31 -0700, "Lobby Dosser" wrote the following:

And the last time I watched the news, the half hour show consisted of

13 minutes of "news" + "local BS" and 17 minutes of commercials. My mute button nearly wore away from one half hour show!
Reply to
Larry Jaques

Just Wondering

"Larry Jaques" wrote

Reminds me of an article talking about carpal tunnel syndrome. Not only mice, but TV remotes are now a source of overuse injuries.

We only watch programs that are prerecorded. That helps. As for the news, there is never more than a few minutes worth watching anyway. Just record it, watch what you want, junk the rest.

Reply to
Lee Michaels

Attenborough?

Reply to
Lobby Dosser

David?

Reply to
krw

Right, not George.

Reply to
Lobby Dosser

With you Larry - but not with Netflix yet - have over 2000 DVD's in the house at this time. Then there is tape.

We like to watch series from scratch and every other disk is a new off target movie. Tonight started Spiderman.

Some series we have watched for lunch or dinner time - has been watched a number of times. We still find stuff - bloopers and new stuff. We have shelves 7' tall in similar topics.

Mart>

Reply to
Martin H. Eastburn

Sir?

Reply to
Bob Martin

Sidney Poitier

Reply to
Lobby Dosser

On Thu, 15 Jul 2010 17:12:58 -0700, "Lobby Dosser" wrote the following:

George Page, RIP.

created the program and narrated from '73 to '98. That program was absolute magic.

Reply to
Larry Jaques

On Thu, 15 Jul 2010 22:44:00 -0500, "Martin H. Eastburn" wrote the following:

Egad, Netflix is far, far cheaper. ;)

I can watch any one of 17,000 movies online on my computer now, too.

Reply to
Larry Jaques

On Thu, 15 Jul 2010 20:09:06 -0400, "Lee Michaels" wrote the following:

Yeah, I had a DVR for the last 6 years of TV watching and it made things go a whole lot faster. 3+ hour football games in under an hour, 30 minute news programs in 13 minutes, unless they had babelicious reporters whose minutes were replayed.

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Which reminds me of Marlin Perkins:

"While Jim wrestles the komodo dragon into that gunny sack, let's take a look at this iguana."

Reply to
Lobby Dosser

Yeah, I was in grade school/Jr. High around that time. It became a running joke in our family, "Let's see what Jim's going to wrestle this week while Marlin looks on"

Reply to
Mark & Juanita

Best one ever - they had tranquilized an elephant to do some measuring and fix a hang nail or something. First they have to wrestle it onto its side because the pressure on its lungs is too much if it lies on its chest. Then they run around doing whatever so that they don't keep it under for too long. Next the wakey, wakey drug. Vet finds a nice vein on an ear and injects the drug. Elephant proceeds to get to its knees RFN. Marlin notes that this was perhaps too quick as the humans had expected to make a more leisurely retreat.

All hell breaks loose! Elephant gets to its feet and starts making angry noises. People start beating feet. Well in front is the 'native guide' who is a 7 foot bean pole, followed closely by Jim and the vet with Marlin trailing. Then the elephant full out Bellows! Marlin starts picking them up and putting them down! The rest of the scene was filmed from quite a way off so you see this people and elephant on the horizon shot with old Marlin Perkins passing everybody Including the guide!!

Laugh, thought I'd die ... Feets, don't fail me now!

Reply to
Lobby Dosser