OT: Foot traffic on HardieBacker 1/2 on OSB

I'm installing tile in our front room and I have to work in sections and ha ve to do it over time. Some people (not a lot) will continue to come in and out of the house. My question is kind of odd but I need to know: Will foot traffic damage the HardieBacker? I don't want to screw this up.

Thanks.

Reply to
Michael

I suppose probably not. Put some sort of drop cloth down, to walk on, taking care there are no folds/creases for someone to trip on.

Sonny

Reply to
Sonny

Or heavy paper, as on hardwood floors, to walk on.

Sonny

Reply to
Sonny

have to do it over time. Some people (not a lot) will continue to come in a nd out of the house. My question is kind of odd but I need to know: Will fo ot traffic damage the HardieBacker? I don't want to screw this up.

Foot traffic won't hurt this stuff. ;-)

DerbyDad03

It may contaminate the surface, the thin set may not adhere well.

Reply to
Leon

Any dust might keep thinset from bonding to the surface. I'd cover it with construction paper, at least. Cardboard would probably be better. Construction felt is pretty cheap and durable but disposal might be a little more difficult.

Reply to
krw

Any dust might keep thinset from bonding to the surface. I'd cover it with construction paper, at least. Cardboard would probably be better. Construction felt is pretty cheap and durable but disposal might be a little more difficult.

Cardboard worked for us. I once collected 25 or 30 pallet sized pieces of cardboard [right off the racks] from a Sam's Club for use in a residence we were remodeling. Sam didn't mind that I had collected them. Would it be practical to cut a couple of sheets of 1/2 inch CDX?

Dave in SoTex

Reply to
Dave in SoTex

1/4" tempered fiberboard is pretty cheap and it can be laid down and the seams taped easily if you want to keep junk from getting through the cracks. I've done that to protect hardwood floors during a big bathroom rebuild and it worked a treat. Afterward, there always seems to be something to do with the fiberboard so disposal is no problem. For protection where the traffic won't be heavy old-school red rosin paper from the big box store works fine.
Reply to
John McGaw

have to do it over time. Some people (not a lot) will continue to come in a nd out of the house. My question is kind of odd but I need to know: Will fo ot traffic damage the HardieBacker? I don't want to screw this up.

Thanks for all the great input and information! This newsgroup is terrific.

Reply to
Michael