OT Completely!!! Spanish? Que?

What language is being translated into English so the Indian parents can understand?

Reply to
fredfighter

Do you think Jose would learn English more quickly if he was spoken to in Spanish or English? When I was a graduate student, I worked in a lab with students from several different countries. The foreigners were forbidden from speaking their native language to each other while in the lab in order to build their English speaking skills. Much like the foreigners in my lab, I think Jose would learn English faster if he was 'forced' to learn English. There would be more motivation for Jose if my son couldn't speak Spanish. Comprende?

I'm not sure, yo think it is possible. :)

Reply to
Stoutman

Yeah, but this way he will be able to talk to his employees if he has his own business and his maid and gardener as well.

Glen

Reply to
Glen

People born and raised here.

I wasn't referring to the Navaho, Cherokee, etc... type of native American.

Reply to
B A R R Y

I agree. Leave the US, and you'll see why it's helpful to know more than one language, and you'll also see how easy it is when you start young.

Try that away from tourist areas and air traffic control, and let me know how it works out. I've found English to be very useful in some multi-language areas, like Switzerland. However, in not-so-urban parts of Italy, Spain, France, etc... You'll be better off with something else. In some less-friendly areas, you'll get better service as an American who speaks French or Spanish, than an American who speaks only English.

There is also the issue of understanding. Have you ever been in a crowd where you have no idea what anyone is saying? Knowing and speaking a second language creates a totally different feeling in those situations, and removes a bunch of stress, even if it's not the language the others are speaking. I know this from experience in both conditions.

My bottom line is that being bi or multi-lingual can NEVER be detrimental.

So why did you respond to a thread clearly marked off-topic?

Reply to
B A R R Y

Now that's funny!

Wrong Indians...

Reply to
B A R R Y

Not quite... India used to be a British colony, remember? They still teach English in the schools there. The two official languages of India are Hindi and English. I've met a fair number of [Asian] Indians in the workplace and in college; all of them speak excellent English, and all of them learned to speak it in India -- in fact, it's the first language for some of them.

Reply to
Doug Miller

So, you work with cab drivers and Indian restaurant prep cooks? One of the guys stocks the coolers and shelves at his friend's large liquor store. These folks are NOT IT people, call center managers, doctors, etc... or for that matter, college educated.

My wife teaches in an inner city school. While English certainly _is_ the official second language in India, these folks aren't very good with it. Therefore, the kids would translate my wife to Hindi, or whatever language they speak at home.

Often, the largest concern these folks have is that their kids are learning proper English.

But hey, if you haven't seen it yourself, it can't be true...

Reply to
B A R R Y

No: programmers and systems analysts. But I don't have any trouble communicating with Indian cab drivers and the staff in Indian restaurants, either. My wife and I are both fond of Indian food, and we eat in Indian restaurants frequently, so college-educated professionals are not the only Indians I come in contact with.

And your point is... ? (Other than highlighting your personal prejudices, I mean.)

I can apply the same comment to you, too -- you don't seem to have encountered any Indians who speak proper English, and as far as you're concerned there can't be any.

Reply to
Doug Miller

Right on brother!!!!

Reply to
Tim Taylor

Mejor dicho "entiende?"

"Comprender" means "understand" but implies an empathy as in, "I understand your pain". "Entender" means to understand intellectually.

Reply to
dadiOH

Really? Look in the yellow pages under "Physicians".

Reply to
dadiOH

Because the current wave of people speaking another language as a first language are Spanish speakers and the companies want their business. IOW, $$$. _____________

You *could* have included a guide to pronunciation you know. :)

OK, I can manage "fa". Probably :)

Reply to
dadiOH

Where did I write that?

Reply to
B A R R Y

Absolutely!

I had an Indian doctor as a child, my favorite beer store is owned by two Indians, and I deal with several Indian programmers. They all speak excellent English and are very educated.

I'll say it again... Many of the Indian kids my wife has had in class have parents who speak perfect English. Others have parents who barely speak English.

Reply to
B A R R Y

Sorta. I've messed with Spanish since my university days - 50 years - and retired to Mexico for a while (now in Florida thanks to wife). I sometimes can't think of the word I want in one language but the other language equivalent comes to mind instead.

The most frequent problem though is in spelling, especially of cognates - words in both languages that have the same meaning and similar but different spellings. For example, "attention" in English, "atencion" in Spanish. Generally no problem with the tion/cion but I sometimes forget the second "t" in English.

By and large it is no problem and the benefits of a second language greatly override any occasional minor problems.

Reply to
dadiOH

¡Que viva assembler! :)
Reply to
dadiOH

Same place I wrote the attitude you attributed to me...

Reply to
Doug Miller

"I've met a fair number of [Asian] Indians in the workplace and in college; all of them speak excellent English, and all of them learned to speak it in India -- in fact, it's the first language for some of them."

All of Indians that you've met speak perfect English.

I don't disagree with that. I never said that all Indians my wife has met don't speak English. This is same as the Polish, Czech, Russians, Pakistani, etc... that she's also come in contact with. Some speak great English, some don't. I'll agree that most Indians do speak great English, just not every Indian who has had kids in my wife's class.

Reply to
B A R R Y

I didn't say that. "Perfect" is your word, not mine. See above for what I actually wrote about the ones that I know. You quoted it, but you didn't appear to have actually bothered to read it.

And where, exactly, did I say that I thought that meant that they all do?

Just like I never said that all Indians I've met speak perfect English, or that Indians who don't speak perfect English don't exist.

Like I said... same place where I wrote the attitude that you attributed to me.

Reply to
Doug Miller