OT- Captain jumps overboard, SEALs shoot pirates (Apr 12) (US 3, Pirates 0)

Rubbish. I accept that the media as a whole leans liberal. But you seem to have forgotten the NY Times cheerleading for the invasion of Iraq, to pretend the media did nothing but attack Bush whether he deserved it or not is not a credible position. There were certainly people prepared to believe that if it rained on their birthday Bush was responsible, but there were at least as many willing to cut his administration a mind-boggling amount of slack. If Carter's attempted rescue of the hostages in Iran had worked he'd have been re-elected in a landslide, and if those WMDs in Iraq we were warned about had really been there Bush would have left office a hero instead of a bum. We haven't heard about WMDs in Iraq because there were none to be found, not because the media didn't tell us about it.

Reply to
DGDevin

Well, lets think about that for a minute, when I was in Vietnam, the "children" along the side of the road with a grenade would kill you just as quick as a NVA soldier, not to forget, the women who are now carrying bombs strapped around their waist killing US soldiers in the war we are now in, It doesn't matter who kills you, you are still dead. War is hell and that is the way it is, kill or be killed,, the other option is talk about it and just let them kill you. It's your life, which do you want? War is hell CC

Reply to
CC

If Carter's attempted rescue of the hostages in Iran had worked he'd

You are being funny right? It was his total inability to be effective with every thing the he was involved in that got him elected out of office. The economy was the bigger problem.

and if those WMDs in Iraq we were

When you tell your enemy that you are going to invade and destroy their weapons AND give them 6 months to hide them....

Reply to
Leon

Thus making Bush more of a bum...? Or less of one?

Reply to
CW

Bush is a swaggering loudmouth who knows that he isn't going to have to pay the bill, be it economic or physical.

Reply to
Charlie Self

Nothing to hide. Hussein was just full of shit trying to intimidate the area.

But I tell you Americans one thing: Don't even THINK of trying to invade Sarnia, Ontario, because I have a 1 gigaton neutron particle anihilator sword.

Reply to
Robatoy

to pay the bill, be it economic or physical.

So true.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

That's Nuthin'. I gots a 5 giga-ohm computer desk! gronk, j4

Reply to
jo4hn

Oh yea?? Well *I* gots a trebuchet and one of my ex's cheese-cakes!! So there!

Reply to
Robatoy

I dunno. Some think his response to the Soviet invasion of Afghanistan - boycotting the Moscow Olympics - was a masterstroke of the unexpected.

Then there was the whole sordid business with the rabbit...

Reply to
HeyBub

"Swaggering?" Heh! That's what Sadaam thought. We invaded his country, evicted him from his homes, confiscated his money, exiled his family, imprisoned his friends, killed his children, then, ultimately, had his skanky ass hanged.

As for "paying the bill," I'll remind you that the deficit under Obama's first year is larger than the deficits of all the Bush years.

Combined.

Here's a graph:

HeyBub

Now, add the war costs to Bush's graphs....

Reply to
Robatoy

Doing so implies those figures don't already include those government expenditures. If they don't, the graph is misleading. If they do, adding them a second time is just as misleading.

Tom Veatch Wichita, KS USA

Reply to
Tom Veatch

"Robatoy" wrote

Oh yea?? Well *I* gots a trebuchet and one of my ex's cheese-cakes!! So there! ========================

Caewful there. We have an unlimited supply of "perpetual fruitcakes" we could toss your way.

Reply to
Lee Michaels

And the $400 billion or so of the trust funds that are counted as revenue and spent every year and replaced with an IOU which isn't counted as an expenditure.

Interesting that the graph shows a surplus in 2000 and 2001, but the national debt has increased each and every year since 1960.

Reply to
Doug Winterburn

That is what I am implying.

Indeed.

Reply to
Robatoy

I don't know one way or the other whether the graph represents any reliable view of reality, but from what I've seen, accountants can play some funny games with numbers and it sometimes looks like government accountants play games that would get private sector accountants locked up.

Once you get away from the principle of "take the money you get, subtract the money you spend, and what's left is what you've got" there's way too much room for misrepresentation.

Tom Veatch Wichita, KS USA

Reply to
Tom Veatch

Rounding error.

Reply to
HeyBub

Yup, a $300+ billion one - every year...

Reply to
Doug Winterburn

Not saying anything was done wrong, but seems to me if you can hook up a towline to the boat, you should have been able to do something other than blow the kids heads off. I wondered from the beginning why they couldn't just blow some holes in the boat. The boat was already dead in the water so these punks had little negotiating power. Sink the boat and 4 punks swimming 30 miles from shore seems like a weak bargaining position for the kids... Of course, if I were the pilot, I'd go for the head explosions, particularly after the fact.

On that note, has anyone seen interviews of the pilot to get his in depth thoughts? I don't watch left wing media much, so I could have missed him...

Reply to
Jack Stein