OT - But Important: Really Nasty Web Security Problem Found

you are running Windows, check which browser you are running and TURN OFF JAVA. You can research how to do this for whatever browser (Microsoft Explorer, Google Chrome, or Firefox) you're using by Googling for instructions. If you do not know how to do this (you probably shouldn't be on the web at all), ask someone who does.

If you're using a Mac, you still turn off Java because the same thing can be used to attack Macs.

When you turn off Java it means that certain web sites will not work properly because they depend on it. If you are 100% certain the site is OK, then turn Java on just for that one site.

This will not go away until Java itself is upgraded.

Reply to
Tim Daneliuk

no-script is your friend you'll be amazed how much sh*t runs on a page and what you can block

ChairMan

(not clear to ME - it's clear to others no doubt). This is a *Java* vulnerability. As a point of interest, Java has nothing whatsoever to do with JavaScript.

Reply to
Tim Daneliuk

NoScript Firefox extension provides extra protection for Firefox, Seamonkey and other mozilla-based browsers: this free, open source add-on allows JavaScript, *Java*, Flash and other plugins to be executed only by trusted web sites of your choice (e.g. your online bank)

All I can tell you is that by using it I've had pages that won't load until i start allowing 1 item at a time YMMV

Reply to
ChairMan

Which is one of the many reasons I run Linux.

Deb

Reply to
Dr. Deb

Look more closely. The exploit applies to Linux as well. It's just that they have not (yet) seen a Linux payload.

Reply to
Tim Daneliuk