OT - Bottled Water

Brita is an example. If you want distilled, then distill.

If you don't mind the expense.

Point is, with a little knowledge, I -- or you -- can tear anything apart and make it look bad. So, bad as tap water is (it isn't), I can make "healthful" bottled water look worse.

I'd still not waste money on bottled if possible. I'd filter and/or distill.

Chattolanee Spring, Greenspring Valley Road, Pikesville, MD. Artesian spring. 100 years ago was great, now ruined by golf course runoff.

Reply to
Ferd Farkel

Curran Copeland

I want water that tastes good and doesn't stink and I don't want to have to carry a bunch of crap around with me to get it.

What makes you think that health has anything to do with it? I have a goal in life of dying of a heart attack, stroke, or accident before I get cancer. I don't really give much of a damn about "health".

So now I have to carry a still on the back of my bike along with everything else?

None of those springs were in my back yard so I don't see what relevance they have to the discussion.

Reply to
J. Clarke

Right. You don't think they haul up bottles of Evian to the ISS every two months.

Reply to
Ferd Farkel

Thu, Oct 25, 2007, 11:25pm snipped-for-privacy@cox.net (J.=A0Clarke) put out: I have a goal in life of dying of a heart attack, stroke, or accident before I get cancer. None of those springs were in my back yard so I don't see what relevance they have to the discussion.

Didn't know I had a choice when I got cancer.

Well, one of the companies bottling the water you drink could be getting it from one of those springs. That enough relevance?

JOAT It's not hard, if you get your mind right.

- Granny Weatherwax

Reply to
J T

You don't have a choice, but if both your parents died of it in their '80s then that gives little incentive to try to live that long.

I thought that the point being made was that bottled water was somebody's city water, not that it was contaminated spring water.

Reply to
J. Clarke

Well that did it. No more water for me. From now on it's wine or even better - whiskey!

Reply to
Ralph

A Katyadyn is too heavy?

You have another option. Buy generic purified water in 5 gallon carboys and decant it into your bike bottles. That's not as cheap as municipal tap water, but not as ludicrously overpriced as bottled.

Reply to
Ferd Farkel

It takes up volume.

But what's the point of decanting it? It weighs the same either way.

Reply to
J. Clarke

Fri, Oct 26, 2007, 7:54am snipped-for-privacy@cox.net (J.=A0Clarke) You don't have a choice, but if both your parents died of it in their '80s then that gives little incentive to try to live that long.

I happen to believe in reincarnation. But I also have no incentive to start early.

JOAT It's not hard, if you get your mind right.

- Granny Weatherwax

Reply to
J T

You won't have to drag a trailer or gear way down to climb hills.

Reply to
Ferd Farkel

So how does a "5 gallon carboy" help me if I don't carry the whole 5 gallons?

Reply to
J. Clarke

Weighs half as much as a 10.

Reply to
Ferd Farkel

Here's a typical trip for me:

Please tell me how you would have made use of your "5 gallon carboy" other than by strapping it onto the bike.

Reply to
J. Clarke

me:

Please

With straps? Like this guy, whose bike runs on pedal power:

Ferd Farkel

Labrador City looking for another carboy?

Reply to
J. Clarke

I know this is way too easy a solution, but how about something like "Not a bad idea, but it doesn't work for me"?

Then again, if you guys really enjoy pissing on each others feet in the shower, have at it..

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

Reply to
mac davis