OT -- Backer board question

Number one son drafted me to help remodel a bathroom. It has a sloped ceiling over the tub and we need to put up some new backerboard over the existing gypsum wallboard. The rafters are on 24 inch centers and only two are positioned right -- one on the right edge, one 24 inches to the left -- for screwing in the 45 inch wide backerboard. Question -- can I use liquid nails to attach the left end and expect it to hold up once he affixes his tile?

TIA

Larry

Reply to
TD

I wouldn't trust it.

I think the proper way to do it would be to install furring strips perpendicular to the rafters, then screw the cement board to those.

Reply to
-MIKE-

I agree.

Reply to
Robatoy

-------------------------------- Not on your life.

Use 3M-5200 and let it cure 72 hours before you remove the bracing holding the backerboard in place.

About $10/tube for 5200.

Home Depot has it in stock.

One tube should be enough for the entire board.

No need for fasteners.

Have fun.

BTW, after the 5200 cures out, don't expect to be able to remove it.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

On Mon, 15 Feb 2010 22:04:04 -0600, the infamous " snipped-for-privacy@teranews.com" scrawled the following:

It is very unlikely that you'll get it stiff enough to handle the tile, and all it takes is one little flex to pop it.

I'd drop the drywall and add framing members as necessary, then affix the Wonderboard or Hardibacker to it, seal, and tile. Figure an extra couple hours for that, but it's done right.

-- It's a great life...once you weaken. --author James Hogan

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Hack away a horizontal strip of gypsum and replace it with 1/2" plywood across the studs as a nailer , cut the strip of plywood first and use it as a guide for hacking.

Reply to
beecrofter