OT - Anyone Snowed In This Morning

You guys deserve a break.

Reply to
Robatoy

Gerald Ross wrote: ...

Yeah, we were 70+ here last Fri, 69 Sat and 8 was high yesterday. -6F was what I saw when got up this AM, not sure if that was quite the low or not...may make double digits today they say...whoopee!!! At least we're not running cattle this winter so not hauling water...

Reply to
dpb

Getting a second wave now, already easily more than we got last night, it may be substantial in some places afterall.

Reply to
FrozenNorth

I debated going in, decided not to risk it. Figure I'll blow snow later this afternoon and then see what it looks like in the morning.

Reply to
J. Clarke

El Paso. Not snowed in but colder than...........

Max

Reply to
Max

Just made it to 32 F here today. 19 F last nite, but no precipitation. Supposed to snow tomorrow maybe, but don't expect to get snowed in. If it does ice or snow, this whole town shuts down, no matter how small of an amount it gets. We should be above freezing on saturday.

Reply to
Robert Allison

No, but snow is forecast for tomorrow night in Houston.

When it snows here, the residents go nuts! They stock up on canned goods, they huddle in the family room and pray, church pews fill up. The city itself scrambles into its "dire emergency" mode: Schools, freeways, and airports close, CONELRAD is activated, city trucks prowl the streets with speakers blaring "Bring out your dead, bring out your dead..."

Evacuation routes are clogged.

The radio stations give out up-to-the-minute reports from on-scene reporters: "The Kroger store on Flat Opossum Road is OUT OF BOTTLED WATER!"

Little children scrape the snow off car hoods, mold six-inch high snowmen, and dance in circles (wearing everything they own) with childish delight. Neighbors wearing Bermuda shorts, stop by with a beer and shoot the snowmen. The children make MORE snowment. Soon we have a shooting gallery - until the beer is gone. Then it's off to the Stop-And-Rob for more, plus a supply of strawberry pop-tarts.

It's embarrassing for those of us who have actually SEEN snow.

Reply to
HeyBub

Got about 15" over the last 1.5 days... wife drove 30 some miles last night during the worst of the winds and it was the last 200 yards that stopped her... 50 mph winds, four foot drifts over the driveway...

My poor neighbor with his driveway just over the crest of the ridge (which runs E/W, winds were outta the North) had one massive drift over his entire driveway, level with the ridge top (about 5 foot above most of the driveway) was running his snowblower before me and for more than an hour after... and his driveway is about 1/3 the length of ours....

Now, for areas around Lake Erie this is just another day in paradise but for us, it was a 20 year storm, if not 50....

Oh, yeah, I am in southern WI.

Hope everyone else is as happy about getting an unscheduled day offa work as I am :-D

Sconnie

Reply to
SconnieRoadie

Well, that was a big letdown. I got all of 3 inches and a little bit of sleet. I gotta stop listening to these damned alarmist news broadcasters who were making out like it was the start of the Fimbulwinter.

Reply to
J. Clarke

70+ deg here (Coast Ranges, NorCal). Bright blue skies.

I'm not gloating, it actually seems a little weird to me.

-Zz

Reply to
Zz Yzx

--------------------------------------- Remember weather like that when I was a kid growing up in the boonies of NE Ohio.

Great in the summer but winters were a bear.

Here in SoCal temps had a tough time reaching 60F; however, winds are another matter.

Sustained 65MPH-70MPH winds in the canyons and passes.

The I-10 & I-15 interstates between L/A and Vegas were littered with

18 wheelers flipped over on their sides like match box toys.

Good day to stay hunkered down.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

? "J. Clarke" wrote

My grandson shoveled part of the drive and I'm glad he only made a path. Where shoveled, it is slick and slippery. There is plenty of slush to walk on in the morning. Plenty of accidents on the road though, was best to stay home anyway.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

We got sprung this morning. Our neighbor bailed us out again with his tractor and scoop. City grader made another pass while he was here and got the street cleaned. We are fortunate that some of our town's sewer system controls are about 1/2 mile south of us so they keep the road open in all weather. Another small town trait - A local farmer/ rancher has a couple hundred head of cattle down there, and they have been grading past the control station so he can get hay in and keep the pond surfaces broken.

RonB

Reply to
RonB

BTW - This has been an interesting few day in the four state area. Broke a record on Sunday with a high temperature of 72 degrees. Tuesday, a blizzard that with the third largest snowfall on record. Expecting temperatures tonight in the -8 to -15 range. That is damned cold in this part of the country. The edge of the Ozark Plateau is about 30 miles southeast of here.

RonB

Reply to
RonB

All this talk about some fantasy extreme weather. Doncha know, in the age of global warming, that these winter storms are right wing propaganda??

It was sunny and 47 degrees here today with no wind. I tried walking the dog. I had to take my winter coat off. I got too warm. What an inconvenience!! Bitch, bitch, grumble, grumble

Have to go now. My missus is preparing some late winter barbecue for me. I am not sure what it is, but it sure smells good. Winter livin' sure is hard.

Reply to
Lee Michaels

We Q all year round. I have 2 chickens in dry rub to be Q'd tomorrow. Our back deck is sheltered from bad weather (unless the wind comes from the NE) and when I fill my smoke-brick with hickory shavings, I piss off the entire neighbourhood with that 'summer BBQ' smell. A few weeks ago, Angela called me from her car and wanted to know what I was cooking... she was at least 1/4 a mile away...LOL We love winter BBQ...

Reply to
Robatoy

Nah! Only REAL Canadians know what it's like to experience snowfall. I've posted a picture of Toronto's recent snowfall in ABPW. Toronto is buried in there *somewhere*. :)

Reply to
Upscale

You might be right. Not the weather but the overblown media coverage regarding some of it. Granted the amounts of snow and cold we are seeing here is quite unusual; but the news coverage regarding the coastal areas seems to be way overdone.

RonB

Reply to
RonB