Opinion please.. kinda OT and OT

I have yet to walk away from a discussion, heated or otherwise, even slightly scratched. When it comes to subjective evaluation, the tests and the documented results, I have done my homework. When separated from their pre-conceived ideas, even the very best of those (usually self proclaimed) 'Golden Ears' will fall flat on their faces. IOW, hide the stuff they are listening to behind acoustically transparent curtains. Make sure that the volume levels are set very precisely to identical levels, and I will wager whatever one likes proving that a $200 power amp can't be told apart from a $5000.00 amplifier. (Assuming that both are decent quality products of similar power) More to the point, those Golden Ears will NOT be able to tell the difference between speaker wires or green markers on the edge of CD's, or even the difference between CD players. There are (were) differences between electro-mechanical transducers. Phono pick-ups, microphones, and loudspeakers. But those, also, will astound the golden ears when they are deprived of the visual contact of their mega-buck babies when a pair of $500, well designed, speakers shit all over them.

My mentor, Dr. Floyd E. Toole shed a lot of light on the validity of blind tests. (Fortunately, that also included a blind test of a variety of scotch whiskies... again, when you don't know what you're tasting, suddenly you forget all the reasons why you're supposed to like that expensive single malt.)

I can't think of an industry so rife with snake-oil salesmen as the audio business.

Robatoy

Women's cosmetics, especially skin care, AKA: Pussy Paint.

Was in it for a while, talk about snake oil, nothing I know even comes close.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

Ahh - those repeatable, scientific tests that inconveniently intrude on cherished beliefs. The fear that one might have wasted many thousands of dollars might also be a factor. The really difficult task is to actually change minds, instead of having the "Golden Ears" (or whomever) walk away muttering about unfair test conditions, bias, or trickery. The Bob Carver vs. Stereophile challenge/tests ended up in nasty litigation.

You mentioned scotch - the wine industry also has its share of "Golden Calves". There's still a lot of money made peddling snake oil.

I do not imagine you being either reticent or unprepared.

-- JeffB remove no.spam. to email

Robatoy wrote:

Reply to
JeffB

Ohhh yes indeed. That would be snake oil in the most literal sense of the word. Pussy Paint aka War Paint. (They want to look good for US!)(Buy me a fifth of bourbon, works too.)(I don't think Angela should read this, but if she does, let me haste to point out that she doesn't need any cosmetics.)

I tried wearing a menstrual pad once and STILL sucked at tennis. I guess you can't believe anything coming out of Madison Ave anymore.

.
Reply to
Robatoy

"Robatoy" wrote

It coulda been worse ... Tampex is a big advertiser.

Reply to
Swingman

Last time I heard anything from Anthony Cordesman was when he was waxing eloquently about the 'upside' of using depleted uranium in artillery shells.

Who can forget Bob Carver? Or Harry Pearson? "Life is a minestrone, Bob!"

I am oh-so glad that all this is oh-so yesterday.

"The bass was a bit plummy, but not in chocolate-y way. The mids were decidedly gravelly" cooed Pearson whilst tugging on his flight engineer's suit.

Reply to
Robatoy

I shoulda known better than to open one of your posts wile drinking tea. A heads-up woulda been nice too...*wipes keyboard* Sheeesh...LOL

Reply to
Robatoy

Cosmetics are strictly small potatoes compared to skin care.

Can still remember buying a lipstick for $1.50, selling for $15.00 and it was not worth wasting time selling them. That was almost 20 years ago.

I'm with you, soap and water is the best cosmetic going.

As far as Scotch is concerned, if it's 86 proof, I'm good to go.

Vodka needs to be 100 proof or else it makes lousy martinis.

I'm not much for either whiskey or bourbon, but when it comes to sippin liquor, Wild Turkey and Rebel Yell are tough to beat.

Won't touch gin.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

The one on the left has much cleaner lines. Less fuzziness, and for what you're doing - presenting to potential customers, I'd prefer that one.

Reply to
Tanus

"What? You can't hear that artifact of the cone material?"

You are so right.

Reply to
B A R R Y

I put Dr. Bose at the top.

Mark

Reply to
Markem

In blind listening tests, year after year, Bose speakers have never placed well. Their little radio is kinda cool insofar that it sounds bigger than it is, but the price is totally ridiculous. That thing could sell for a quarter of the price and they'd still make out like bandits. The noise canceling headphones also have some merit, but again, stupid money.

But, if it is all legal if you can get away with it.

Reply to
Robatoy

As long as it is linear crystal oxygen free.

Reply to
Robatoy

And the Monster Cable folks at number two.

Reply to
Lee Michaels

At least Bose offers a great money back guarantee.

I had a set of the QC2's that I returned, based on a value to performance. They were very underwhelming, but I didn't get any push back when I brought them back for a full refund.

However, you'd have to shoot me to take my Bose Aviation headset away. Stupid money, but I still think they were worth it over every other set I've flown with.

Reply to
B A R R Y

Honestly, I think that you'll do better with leaving the 3 minute option off the table. I've learned that if you give people to many options, often they'll get into some kind of decision gridlock and can't make up their mind. You're trying to sell them a product, and they're not going to sit around making a decision every 3 minutes while your computer churns away at fancy ass digital effects.

Keep it simple, keep it quick, and when everything's ready to go, you can fancy it up if you want. In this particular case, you're considering more than tripling your presentation length for an extremely marginal improvement in something that is, at best, a tangent to your overall presentation.

Just use the quick and dirty option and don't use the other one unless you're preparing for the meeting, and want your bid to stand out a little bit. The extra time may pay off, and it doesn't waste the customer's time, only yours.

-Nathan

Reply to
N Hurst

I recently had a problem with 901s from the 70's. I called Bose to find a repair center. They asked me to describe the problem and they immediately knew that it was caused by an adhesive breaking down. They sent me a new pair, along with prepaid returning shipping.

How is that for stupid money?

Reply to
Frank Drackman

nlpi061.nbdc.sbc.com...

Still sound like crap.

Reply to
Robatoy

Maybe true, but what other audio companies would have sent free replacements, including shipping, on a product that is 30 years old?

Reply to
Frank Drackman

18 x $ 2.00 =3D $ 36.00... I suppose that's not too bad for PR, considering the money they made on that profit in the last 30 years is probably thousands.

Sorry, I don't have a kind word for them.

Reply to
Robatoy