Opinion on Delta and Ryobi

Hi,

I am looking to purchace some cordless tools in the very near future. At present I do not have any tools at all except for a few basic manual tools. :) Seeing that I will barely use the tools compared to most of you lads I figure the best way to get started would be to purchase a small combo kit. The two kits that are in my small budget are one from Ryobi and one from Delta.

DELTA

(NOT OFFICIAL WEBPAGE)
am leaning towards the Delta simply because I do not need a flashlight and vacum. :) But I have no idea of the quality of Delta tools.

Any opinions or suggestions would be great!

Thanks in advanced.

Cheers!

Reply to
Thomas

Walk by the replacement battery section as part of your decision. I didn't do this when I bought my 13.2 v drill. I need a new battery but they're hard to find and expensive.

$0.02

-- Mark

Reply to
Mark Jerde

Delta *usually* makes quality tools. I have some Delta tools and I have some Ryobi's. In this case, I'd follow your logic and pick the Delta set because it has more things that I'd use.

I'd set my expectations that these are going to be light to medium duty tools.

Reply to
mttt

You'll often notice that the Makita batteries are very dusty, as they've been there a while.

And this will draw some polarized response, I actually like some DeWalt cordless tools, especially drills.

Barry

Reply to
B a r r y

Mark, What brand of tool did you buy? Do mean Delta or Ryobi specifically?

Reply to
Thomas

I have a Ryobi 14.4 drill and saw. They get light use in a home shop. After

16 months, the variable speed drill is no longer variable and the batteries do not hold a charge very long any more.

It is a nice size and weight, has enough power for my needs and worked well until recently. Things do break and wear out but I think the switch could have held up longer. Ed snipped-for-privacy@snet.net

Edwin Pawlowski
    • P
  • Vote on answer
  • posted

in the last five or six years have been their biggest weaknesses especially in the Techtronic made Ryobi drills, the rest of the drill however seems to hold up quite well for the price.

Reply to
P©WÉ®T©©LMAN

Delta is on the auction block. The parent company is going to shed it and go with water pumps. One of the major lookers at the PorterCable, Delta, Rockwell line is Ryobi.

future. At

manual tools.

you lads I

combo kit.

one from

flashlight and

Reply to
DanG

funny. wasn't delta a water meter manufacturer before they made tools?

full circle....

Reply to
bridger

If you are not going to use it a lot, look at Makita, they offer Nickel-metal hydride batteries.

Otherwise- delta.

-Dan V.

Reply to
Dan Valleskey

My son has the Ryobi set and he's happy with it. I've used the sawzall for trimming trees and it works great. That palm sander and brad nailer might be something to think about. I doubt if the jig saw is worth worrying about. Anyone use one of those? I guess it depends on what tools you want. I'm sure they are both good sets. The battery issue is important. I have an perfectly good Milwaukee drill that I can't get a battery for. It's like

15-18yrs. old. Is there a source for them anywhere? Ed
Reply to
Ed S

I had a Ryobi 12v cordless drill. I now have a Delta 6 pack. I have been using the six pack heavily for the last 3 weeks in a remodeling project. I'm very happy with it. John

Reply to
Quadindad2

Thanks for the feedback.

From what I gather the Delta is the set I will choose seeing that:

1) battery recharge time is shorter (it has a 1 hour quick charge) 2) I do not need a vacum or flashlight (which the Ryobi has :) ) 3) Seeing that I am just starting out the amount of work these tools will see is limited which hopefully means they will last a bit longer.

Question: When recharging the battery should I remove the battery from the charger when its done? Or can I simply leave it in there for a long time. I may not have to use the battery for weeks etc.

Reply to
Thomas
    • P
  • Vote on answer
  • posted

What model # is the drill? do you have your old battery, if so what is the part # on it? 48-11-????

Reply to
P©WÉ®T©©LMAN

Black & Decker... I was young and didn't know any better. ;-)

-- Mark

Reply to
Mark Jerde

Since you mentioned it, I just ordered a new switch. With shipping it is $27.00. Cheaper than a new drill as long as the batteries continue to hold up.

Ordering over the phone is a long ordeal. Ordering on line at

is faster. I called the 800 number and the recording told you about the web site. I was able to find the part number, place the order and I was still on hold. Ed

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

The Delta line of drills, etc. is pretty comparable to the Ryobi. My understanding is that was the target market for the line - Delta wanted to compete with Ryobi, Mastercraft and other low - middle of the line tools. Neither are a top-notch contender - but you have a budget and you need to spend accordingly.

That said - up here in Canada, the Ryobi line is limited to Home Depo. The Delta line is all over the place. If you think about battery replacement, etc., you might be better off with Delta. Check the price of replacement batteries for both, but if you're looking to get a replacement battery 2 or

3 years down the road, you might have better changes with the Delta.

Brian

Reply to
Brian L

Think it will depend on the sophistication of the charger. For my Craftsmans drills, the answer would have been "No, remove it." When those died and I switch to Milwaukee - the answer is "Yes, go ahead and leave it in the charger."

Reply to
mttt

Hi Brian,

I am in Canada as often as I am in US. I could only find the Delta combo pack at Rona. (not sure if they are nation wide). What other stores carry the Delta line. I might as well shop around.

Cheers!

Reply to
Thomas

It's a 12 volt drill model# 0401-1 and the battery has the # 48-11-0140. The batteries I have still hold a charge but for only about ten minutes so I can't really do much with it. It ok to put in a few screws or something but that's about it. Thanks Ed

Reply to
Ed S