OOPS #2,741

OOPS #2,741 - and that?s just THIS month.

ALMOST glued my dust collector remote INSIDE a torsion box on which I was glueing the top. Got so focused on clamps, cauls, glue spreading and parts alignment that I didn?t see the RED remote. Got everything aligned and started applying the clamps.

Suddenly I heard the dust collector go on.

What the F...!

Checked my back pocket where I often clip the remote. Nope.

Began scanning the clutter on the end of the bench top. Nope.

Checked the router table - the home for the remote. Nope.

Scanned all the flat surfaces above floor level for anything RED. Nope.

You know that hollow feeling you get in the pit of your stomach as the relaization sets in that you?ve just done something really, really stupid?

If I take this top off and the remote isn?t in there I?m gonna be POed - big time!

Could you hear the sound of my palm striking my forehead - forcefully? Sure sounded really loud to me. Clear vision is returning - slowly. The embarassed expression will probably be gone by tomorrow - afternoon

- hopefully.

Maybe I should epoxy the remote to a 3 foot length of 2x4 - that?s painted International Organge.

charlie b

Reply to
charlie b

Sun, Feb 19, 2006, 12:06am (EST-3) snipped-for-privacy@accesscom.com (charlie=A0b) doth publically admit: Maybe I should epoxy the remote to a 3 foot length of 2x4 - that's painted International Organge.

Amazing, absolutely amazing. But, don't woory about the story spreading, we won't tell.

Who's in charge of the paint, glue, and 2X4 fund, so we'll know where to send our donatrions?

JOAT IThere is no vaccine against stupidity!

Reply to
J T

That's it?

I use an old Jerry Lewis Telethon tote board to keep track.

I keep cans of fluorescent orange paint on hand to differentiate some jigs, wedges, stops, sacrificial fences, etc... from scrap.

Once everything is orange, it all blends together!

Barry

Reply to
Ba r r y

On Sun, 19 Feb 2006 00:06:33 -0800, with neither quill nor qualm, charlie b quickly quoth:

Newp.

1) pound a nail into the wall at eyeball height inside the shop door. 2) Loop some nylon cord around the remote keychain. 3) Hang it on the nail.

When you go to the shop, hang it around your neck. As you leave the shop, hang it back up on the nail. If you accidentally ake it inside the house with you, make it a point to return it immediately. Don't wait. You'll lose it. DAMHIKT. (about other things)

Now where the HELL did I put that Practical Yacht Joinery book I got for myself just before Christmas?!? It's nowhere to be found.

- - - Brain cells come and brain cells go, but fat cells live forever. ---

See our NoteSHADES(tm) privacy/glare guards

Reply to
ljaques

This is a LoneRanger remote - 1" x 1" by maybe 5 inches long - with a belt clip.

You've got wall space, especially at eye height somewhere in your shop? Amazing - truly amazing. You are blessed.

Don't know about you, but I play with things that spin things. Just keeping body parts and clothes away from them is challenging enough. Having something hanging from a nylon cord - around my neck - just doesn't seem like such a good idea - to me.

See response above re: nails and shop wall space

"Immediately" is not in my vocabulary - I'm retired. (19 years of school work, 31 years of civil service with emphasis on both being civil and being of service- and now I don't have to "earn a living" - odd concept.)

Check the outhouse.

Now why hasn't someone come up with hair and teeth made of fat celss?

charlie b Helping people feel less dumb by demonstrating the range of dumbness that is possible.

Reply to
charlie b

After my first remote vaniehed, I think it was with the turning shavings, I bought 2 remotes. One stays on a clip in my lathe room, and the other is out in my shop. Now, if one vanishes, I have a back up until the new one gets here. robo hippy

Reply to
robo hippy

That's it. Have something loose and dangly around your neck while working with power tools.

Reply to
CW

On Sun, 19 Feb 2006 10:53:10 -0800, with neither quill nor qualm, charlie b quickly quoth:

The door jamb counts, right? My very next trip to the shop will be the first cleaning of the year. I built about 40 new NoteSHADES and now it's time for some wooddorkin again. I'll put up some new shelving and start getting tools and such stuff off the floor, off every single horizontal surface, etc. Shouldn't take but a few solid weeks until I know where every tool, nut, bolt, and piece of wood is.

THEN, by Buddah, I'll start building the furniture I've been threatening to build.

Shorten it so it's more like a choker necklace, or put it down your flannel shoit. ;)

If you're unfamiliar with the word "immediately", you've certainly lost a lot of items in your retired history, charlie. Once you grok the word, it becomes quite apparent how -much- time it will save you in the long run. It's truly amazing.

Newp, it was under the bookcase in the "new section" I had made for the family's arrival. I slid the door open and there it was, with about 30 other hidden books.

Fatty teeth? Nah, they's too chewy.

Reply to
ljaques

"What's that round your middle?" "My first beer and all its decendents."

Reply to
Lobby Dosser

If'n you do that, please don't put it at eyeball height. Put it somwhere where it won't do any damage when you walk into it while thinking about what you are going to be doing in the shop today.

... snip of otherwise good advice.

Mark & Juanita

On Sun, 19 Feb 2006 19:25:18 -0700, with neither quill nor qualm, Mark & Juanita quickly quoth:

Oops, I meant hang the remote at eyeball height. The nail would be higher. My bad.

Reply to
ljaques

"That's a liquified grain byproducts storage system"

Reply to
Robert Bonomi

Any pre made remotes for us electrically challenged people? I am not much on wiring and I need to get this going. Or what about using the long ranger gate control and using a 12v remote to connect the wires?

Reply to
stevek

Well, I have the 3hp/220v Oneida dust collector, and Lone Ranger has a set up for that. I had an electrician over for a few other things, and had him wire it up for me. As a side note, a friend of mine just got one of the Grizzly 2hp collectors that came with a remote that was infared instead of FM radio frequency opperated. He found out that the remote switch for his Jet air filter would turn on the dust collector as well. With the infared, you have to point it at the machine, where as with the other one, you just have to hit the switch. I can even start it while outside the shop. robo hippy

Reply to
robo hippy

If you are talking about a boat lift, the gate controller is what the commercial product uses. My neighbor has one. It just has to emulate a Furnas drum switch. They do it with 2 relays.

Reply to
gfretwell

I have a long ranger it is only rated for 15 amps. I need a beefier one the motor is rated at 16 amps and pops the breaker on the long ranger. Knight-Toolworks

handmade wooden planes

Reply to
Steve knight

Easiest thing to do is pick upa 2 pole 25-30 amp contactor and enclosure and use your long ranger to control the new contactor. Wiring is actually very basic.

Mike M

Reply to
Mike M

for you maybe (G) but for me I need lots of help.

Reply to
Steve knight