CH Compressor and 220v

OK, Nearly broke my back but the new 60 gal CH compressor is bolted to the floor. 220 scares and confuses me. I have a nice piece of romex that has 2 wires inside (excluding ground). I have 2 terminals on the compressor. I have 3 wires in the box: 1 white, 1 red and 1 black (plus the ground, I know what to do with that.).

Big question: Which wires go where?

TIA, Pat..

Reply to
Patrick Fischer

You don't use the white in the box. Reidentify the white in the Romex to red or black (think tape) and connect it up. If you have a buddy who knows a bit about electricity it might be a good time to see him. There is always the pro.

Reply to
Greg

nothing scary about 220, it just uses another 120v line to complete the circuit instead of a neutral wire. Each romex lead goes to a breaker on one end and the other ends go to the terminal lugs on the compressor. You only need the 2 hot wires so the white wire goes unused.

Since the color white is standard for a neutral wire if you use romex with a white wire in it and use it for a "hot" wire you should wrap black tape around each end of the wire so if someone opens up the box and sees the black tape "flag" they know it is being used as a hot wire and not a neutral. I just elaborated more on what the other poster said.

Just make sure you use the proper gauge wire for amp breaker you are using.

When I moved my 80 gal PC compressor I rented an all terrain forklift to set it on its pad. It took the guy a total of 10 mins to unload the forklift, grab the compressor, set it, and load it back up. Cost me $50 for everything. I think it was $280 a day but like I said it was a 10 min job so the driver said he'd do it for me!

Rich

Reply to
Rich

Greg/Rich: Thanks for the info. I'm up and running just fine. There's no question that this sucker is HEAVY. I've got it about 2' from it's final resting place but it's still on the pallet. Some borrowed muscle and I think we'll be OK. This is the second to last main tool for my new shop. I have alot of organizing to do as far as work benches etc go but I guess that's half the fun. The last tool is the dust collector and duct work. I'm still researching but any suggestions are welcome. Again, thanks for the input as electricity isn't my strongest talent!

Pat Fischer Olalla, WA

Reply to
Patrick Fischer

I built a "doghouse" on the outside wall of my garage. It houses my compressor and my dust collector. I run the tube through the wall. Cuts down on alot of noise, frees up space, and when I change the bag it is already outside right next to the trash. I have a remote that I hit to turn it on and off.

My ductwork is very basic, just 4" black plastic with gates. I envy those who really have a nice setup, mine just hangs off conduit and whatever else I can find.

Rich

Reply to
Rich