On the level

On Mon, 14 Dec 2009 11:17:55 -0800, the infamous Mike M scrawled the following:

I distinctly heard the click. The line feeding out is probably too quiet to hear over the Internet.

-- Every day above ground is a Good Day(tm). -----------

Reply to
Larry Jaques

On Mon, 14 Dec 2009 23:49:23 -0500, the infamous "J. Clarke" scrawled the following:

Gee, I'd have put the water in the TUB, not on the floor, J. No wonder things went wonky on ya.

-- Every day above ground is a Good Day(tm). -----------

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Out of all of the posts to this tread, this is the one you chose to reply to? I was hoping to read something interesting. If you want to chase the fish, you should probably choose one less piscatorially-oriented who can't tie a royal coachman with the same ease with which you tie your shoes.... Maybe you should stick to music? Repeat at Cod(a)?

Bill

Reply to
Bill

The bench that my large vise is mounted to is "sorta" level. Depending on how much of a hurry I'm in, the piece to be planed may or may not be even with the jaws of the vise.

And you're right. The piece you're working on should be close to being level or at least parallel (kinda) to the floor.

But it's like Leon was saying about the curtain rods. If you mount a piece of wood into the vise and it looks ok, it likely is. When you're pushing through on a plane stroke, the plane sole will follow the edge of the wood by itself. And your push stroke will follow the lead of the plane, within reason.

There are quite a number of things to think about when you're planing a piece of wood, and when you're new at it, some of them are critical if you want a smooth surface. Having the piece dead-nuts level to the floor or the bench isn't one of them.

I'm not trying to talk you out of getting a level. I've had one for years, and if I lost it, I'd immediately get another one. I just never use it inside the shop.

YMMV

Tanus

Reply to
Tanus

Nice post. One thing I've learned from this thread is that one doesn't alway want things to be level, necessarily. I was thinking about arranging some chunks of broken concrete to create curved walls encompassing a tree or flower bed (or both). Is a level good for that or do I need a transit (too)? ; )

Bill

Reply to
Bill

I don't want to make it seem like I want to post replies to my own post, but the following laser level seems like an easy way of making all of one's "flower beds" are the same height--or at least the same elevation... Not sure which of these is better. My dad, RIP, would have liked to tell me. He was a civil engineer and outstanding at landscaping.

Bill

I use those Black and Decker Laser Level things. They work reasonably well.

Where I need more than one fastener to hang something, I will mark (and drive a finish nail temporarily) or position the first fastener and lay the (ordinary 4' level) upon it to locate the next fastener - repeating as necessary. Then, using a line between the first and last marks, "measure twice" or double check my work.

Reply to
Hoosierpopi

I like mine too. It's great for hanging pictures or towel rods. The pin is enough to hang the thing and doesn't completely mess up the sheetrock.

Since I got the B&D laser thingy I haven't used a level on finished walls.

Reply to
keithw86

Simpler and more precise: Use 1x board that is a bit longer than the distance between the two end fasteners, hold board up to piece to be hung, transfer/mark fastener positions to board, level board on the wall, transfer marks off board to wall.

Reply to
Swingman

Or mark on the level if you can ...

First rule of accuracy and efficiency in hanging "stuff" on walls is to never measure when you can mark.

Reply to
Swingman

On Tue, 15 Dec 2009 18:34:30 -0500, the infamous "Bill" scrawled the following:

Y'mean "thread"?

Actually, we weren't referring to fish. Clues are for sale at...Oh, never mind.

P.S: I tie my tennies loosely so I can don them like slip-ons. My laces are stitched so they don't come undone, as they were wont to. Ta!

-- Every day above ground is a Good Day(tm). -----------

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Yep

Reply to
Tanus

Nice idea. What's a good way when the distance is 30 feet or so (for instance if you were building two structures that you wanted to "match")? Guess that's when it's time for one of those laser levels, no?

Bill

Reply to
Bill

I have three laser levels, none of which I would usually bother to take out to "hang something" on the wall, unless, of course, it was a row of kitchen cabinets ...

So yep ... they do come in handy. :)

Reply to
Swingman

String with a level hung on it will come pretty close--probably be as accurate as a cheap laser level--if you want to be precise use a garden hose and a couple of lengths of clear vinyl tubing stuck into the ends of it

Reply to
J. Clarke

Good idea!

--if you want to be precise use a garden hose

Priceless! :::a few claps directed your way::: Look me a few minutes to figure it out! The water levels at each end will always match! : ) A lot of potential there: Pound two stakes into the ground, attach the ends of the hose to the stakes, fill with water, and mark the levels. A beautiful solution, IMO. Where did you learn that trick?

Bill

Reply to
Bill

Water levels have been around for ever.

Reply to
CW

I guess there's not enough markup on them to make them popular...

Reply to
Bill

For less than $20, Home Depot will gladly sell you a 9VDC battery operated unit made in San Diego.

A bottle of red food coloring, some water, and you are good to go.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

Too easy to make ... all you need is some clear plastic tubing and water. Still, they are more accurate than any other level, including lasers.

Reply to
Swingman