Hardie plank - installing on curved surface?

Is is OK to bend fiber cement and install on a curved surface like around a bow window? The Hardie site doesn't have any warnings or instructions about installing on a surved surface. And I've searched the internet and not been able to find a thing. The product seems very flexible and doesn't seem like it's under any great strain for the curve we are looking at (about 1' out over a 12' width).

Reply to
DDJ

Like Sheet Rock, Hardi Plank can bend and when wet will take on any shape that it is laying on or made to mimic....... When delivered it is best to support hardi plank the entire length or it will look/conform to the stickers it was set on. We also use hardi plank for "curved concrete forms"

I would only think that with such a slight radius, the hardi plank would be fine and look nice with the application below.

One way to check this is to say go to a supplier and look at the scrap pile of hardi plank (if any) and see if you can find a "bent one"

the other way is to wet one and bend it, dry it, and look.

The material is fiberous, and like any product when bent the outer curved surface will be more open "thread" and the inner will be compressed.

Reply to
jloomis

Hi,

It is perfectly ok, go ahead, and do not forget to seek a professional... Posted from the Free Home Improvement Forum at

johnaydan

We had a pro doing the work and it seemed to work fine. The only catch was you can't angle it (like on a straight lap) and bend it to the curve at the same time. So you end up stepping out the width of the plank on each layer. There were about 5-6 reveals under the bow window sill so by the time you go up to the sill the plank was almost even with the front edge of the sill.

Reply to
DDJ

I would not recommend wetting the board as this could cause the coating to peel of and certainly could make guarantee invalid.

Reply to
Graddick