Old Unisaw

As some here may have read previously, I recently aquired an old Unisaw at a school auction. According to Delta, it's a model 1450 which I think means it's the 1HP bullet motor version of the Unisaw. It has the old style case with the rounded motor hole (no cover) and the collar around the base. Year of manufacture is a little more difficult to come up with as my serial number with a 114 prefix doesn't match up to the available lists or the info on the OWWM site. My guess is the manufacture date is somewhere in the mid 50's.

Anyway, today I removed the arbor bracket to take to my local machine shop to have the bearings replaced (no question that it needs them) and the run-out checked. It looks to me as though the arbor bracket has been replaced since it's painted black and all the other guts are that nice old gray color. While sticking my head in there, amazed at how much larger everything is than the parts on the contractors saws I'm used to, I notice a little bracket hanging loosely from the bottom of the front trunion bracket. After looking at the parts catalog it could be called the guide block and may still be used on newer machines. This guide block bolts to the bottom of the front trunion bracket and the front trunion runs inside the little finger of the guide block. It looks like it's supposed to help guide the trunion or berhaps just keep it from moving too much toward the back of the saw. It has a slotted hole, where the bolt goes through, so that it can be adjusted more closely toward the trunion. I do see wear on the guide block but it doesn't seem to me that it needs to be touching the trunion. My question is, how should this guide block be installed? Should it be installed touching the trunion or just a hair away from the trunion? Or maybe I can just throw it in the box with all the other extra parts that I'm sure to have left after my "restoration". :-)

Thanks in advance for any help and for answering what is likely to be the first of many questions regarding this project.

Mike O.

Reply to
Mike O.

I notice a

It is still on current models and as for its purpose will take someone older than me to comment. On the newer models, even though there is a large clearance slot in the piece the channel in the block seems to self fit to the front and rear face edges of the Trunion and the slot is to adjust for the tolerance stack up betweent the trunion and trunion bracket.

Could be it is to offer a little more support on the low side of the trunion during the motor torque up or in the event of a kickback. Could be a safety bracket. I really don't know but I would say put it on if you have it and see if you even have any clearance. On the newer models if it isn't touching it is so close you cannot visually see a gap.

Frank

Reply to
Frank Boettcher

I hadn't thought about it being some kind of safety feature.

This one has room to move maybe 1/16" toward the trunion after it's hand tightened. This could also be from wear to the guide block.

I assume that it was touching at one time since I see wear on the guide block. Interestingly enough I can't see any wear on the trunion so maybe the guide block is made of something softer. I'll go ahead and tighten it down as close as possible without putting anything in a bind.

Thanks very much for your help Frank.

Mike O.

Reply to
Mike O.