Old Sears gadget for turning spirals with router

Some years ago Sears used to market a device for turning spirals on legs. I am sure it had other uses as well. It was a bed with some sort of mount above for seating a router. It had a crank on the end and I believe was wire driven. You could turn the crank while running your router and do spiral work quite easily. I am looking to buy one but need to know what they are called first.

Joe

Reply to
Joe Bleau

Router crafter .. .. .. surprisingly, they are selling in new or like-new condition on e-Bay for $175-$250

Reply to
Anonymous

Mon, Jan 29, 2007, 11:52pm snipped-for-privacy@nospam.com (Joe=A0Bleau) doth sayeth: Some years ago Sears used to market a device for turning spirals on legs.

I'm not interested in one myself, but last time I looked in a Sears catalog, or maybe it was last time I was in a Sears, they still carried them. Admitted that was quite a bit back, but I'm wondering if anyone has checked to see if they still carry them.

However, somewhere, I have seen, or have, plans to make a jig that will do the same. Somewhere I've got plans for a jig for routing flutes too, but something like that would be a lot easier to figure out. So some googling might come up with plans so you can make one - be a lot more flexible in use than a store-bought one, and you could paint it any color you wanted - I recommend yellow.. .

JOAT Only those who have the patience to do simple things perfectly will acquire the skill to do difficult things easily.

- Johann Von Schiller

Reply to
J T

I believe that the router crafter is a Vermont America device that sears branded and sold. Might check with Vermont America to see if they still sell them, also.

Reply to
Dave Hall

Looked for one a while back--not on the Sears site or in the Sears store or in the Sears catalog--it's an ex-product.

Legacy makes a number of ornamental mills that are somewhat upmarket but serve a similar function and there's a cheap clone .

The Craftsman was a relabelled Trend Routerlathe or some ancestor thereof but it appears to have been discontinued. The manual is available for download from Trend and they claim that they still stock all spares.

Here's a description of a big one that someone built for his own use--no plans though .

contains plans for a shop made spiral turning jig.

Reply to
J. Clarke

Wed, Jan 31, 2007, 1:41pm: snipped-for-privacy@cs.com (Dave=A0Hall) posted what I posted, thusly: On Wed, 31 Jan 2007 12:33:55 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (J T) wrote: Mon, Jan 29, 2007, 11:52pm snipped-for-privacy@nospam.com (Joe=A0Bleau) doth sayeth: Some years ago Sears used to market a device for turning spirals on legs.

And,you then proceded to say: I believe that the router crafter is a Vermont America device that sears branded and sold. Might check with Vermont America to see if they still sell them, also.

I already said I'm not interested. By picking my post to respond to, people might now get the idea I 'am' interested. That's just confusing.

JOAT Only those who have the patience to do simple things perfectly will acquire the skill to do difficult things easily.

- Johann Von Schiller

Reply to
J T

I can not find one on eBay. Interested in selling yours?

Joe

Reply to
Joe Bleau

I've got one of these. It was given to me by a co-worker. I've never used it. I'm not even sure that it's all there, but if you want it contact me off the newsgroup and we'll arrange something.

Reply to
Charley

If you don't get something worked out here, contact me, I have one that hasn't been used much with instructions I might part with. I hate to think about boxing it up to ship.

Walt Conner wconner5 at verizon dot net

Reply to
WConner