Old delta 12" planer repair question.....

Hi folks.. I've got one of hte old (original) delta 12" planers - I don't recall the model number, but it dates from the early to mid 90's. Its served great duty for many years now, but last night I ran into something I can't seem to fix. One of the height adjuster nuts froze. The one on the shaft that the crank is on - it runs on a big threaded rod, and connects to the cutter head assembly.

I've taken the whole thing apart to try and break it free, but I can't get it to move. Any ideas? I can't figure out why it froze, or whats keeping it locked in place. Penetrating oil (MMO) will track through the threads and come out the other side, but it plain old won't turn. I tried warming the nut up, penetrating oil, and all the other tricks I could think of to get it to move. The nut on the other side still turns fine.....

Any ideas as to what might be going on?

Rignt now I'm figuring I'll probably end up replacing it - its been needing more and more maintenance, but I figured I'd ask and see if any one had any ideas......

thanks

--JD

Reply to
j.duprie

I don't have a Delta planer, but I'm guessing the nut rusted and froze to the threads. I sincerely doubt the nut was machined there or loctite'd to deliberately stay put. Consult a manual to confirm.

If you think you can can find a way to get another nut on, sever the nut on each face with a Dremel tool (obviously don't go deep enough to screw up the threads of the rod) and use a pair of vice grips work it off in pieces. But then again, I like these kinds of challenges... Good luck!

SS

Reply to
Sam Schmenk

An alternative to the Dremel is the nut splitter. Look at

similar. Does a good job and doesn't usually do much harm to the rod. mahalo, jo4hn

Reply to
jo4hn