Okay, here's the deal on the JDS Dust-Force

In a previous post two days ago, I spoke of the difference in the advertised specs vs. the specs in the manual on the JDS Dust-Force dust collector.

I spoke with the owner of JDS on the phone today, and he explained the issue.

Woodcraft and Amazon are advertising the specs on the machine as equipped with the standard 30-micron bag, but the version they are selling has a 1-micron bag upgrade. This upgrades filtration but degrades airflow performance. JDS has given them the new specs for the

1-micron bag...they are just not using them.

The proper specs are as follows:

30-micron bag: 1250 CFM 12" static pressure

1-micron bag:

1115 CFM 7.2" static pressure

Woodcraft and Amazon took the best specs for both and combined them. Nice.

As to the db rating (87 vs. 77), he said the proper figure is 77, and that the manual has a misprint. (I think I believe him here, too, because the first shipment of motors had current draw of 24 amps stamped on the motor plate.)

While I am still not particularly happy with my transaction, my beef lies with Woodcraft, not JDS.

Reply to
wood_newbie

wood snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote in news:1124399572.658265.297660 @g14g2000cwa.googlegroups.com:

Cool. Always nice to be able to speak to the man in charge.

Ah! Its the SP that takes a big hit. Did he say what the opportunities were to regain some SP? Doesn't physically making the upper bag larger (more volume) restore some flow?

Another reason to use 6" ducting too, I suppose.

Emperical test time - how does it work on your system?

Reply to
Patrick Conroy

Yeah...the static pressure really gets hammered with the felt bag. They do sell a 1-micron canister filter, and he said that will help regain some of the airflow and pressure.

I've now assembled the unit, but don't yet have it hooked up to any tools as I haven't figured out all my placement/portablilty issues.

Interestingly enough, though, I thought I'd see how much airflow/pressure I would lose by stepping down to my 2 1/2" Shop-Vac hose...roughly 6 - 8 ft long. I knew I would lose some...just curious to see how much.

If you can imagine a dog trying to drink a coke through a straw, you are halfway there.

Reply to
wood_newbie