Odd objects to spread glue with

Not having a credit card handy (meaning: I'd have to walk from where the thought struck me, approximately 30 feet into the house), I spotted a wall outlet cover in a misc hardware drawer that looked like a likely candidate for spreading glue on some 4" boards. Poured on the TBII and took a swipe with the cover across the board. Wow! Nice even coverage. gotta love the curved edge of those covers. Try it some time--it's not as weird as it sounds.

What "odd" thing have you spread glue with, that worked well?

Dave

Reply to
David

I'll use my finger to spread glue provided I have a tub of water handy to clean up. The last time I used a thin 2x4" square of cherry, just because it was handy. I have a glue roller (the kind that fit on top of a glue bottle) but don't always use it. I like credit cards for spreading glue, nice and flexible.

Reply to
Phisherman

The drill size template from the Handyman Club works well.

But with a college student, I get a lot of those mock credit cards to use, too.

Reply to
George

- Hacksaw blades work pretty well. Different TPI and new vs. old will leave a different thickness of glue.

- Serrated edge thing from a Saran Wrap or aluminum foil box.

- Gift cards from Barns&Noble. They are nice and stiff just like a credit card and they give them away by the dozens, just don't load them with any $.

- Popsicle sticks.

- Q-tips.

- Pipe cleaners.

Art

Reply to
Wood Butcher

Well, I don't know if it's odd, but I use an autobody filler spreader.

RicodJour

I keep a deck of playing cards handy, they are slick and the glue doesn't stick to them.

Reply to
Richard

All kinds of stuff from the edge of pencils to random scraps of wood that happened to be close, to a scraper that I accidentally grabbed once, thinking it was a credit card. Luckily, the glue wipes off.

Probably the weirdest thing I ever used was an old AOL CD when I was trying to spread glue into an odd curve and I found that by turning the CD a bit, it filled the cove quite well.

Reply to
Brian Henderson

I noticed one of the DIY network dames spreading glue with a wood chisel. I thought that was pretty odd...

Being an old house framer and remodeler I am just now discovering glue. Works pretty good! That tells you I am a bit behind in the fine woodwork department.

But I am really enjoying learning.

Ron T

Reply to
Ron Truitt

For pva I use a stiff 1/2" artist's brush most of the time. I also have a number of very thin, 6" long hardwood wedges that were left over from some job or another, they flex beautifully and get into narrow spaces and they clean up with a sharp chisel. For Gorilla glue, my preference is formica coated 1/4" mdf tags. I seem to have inherited quite a lot of offcuts of this nature from someone (don't use the stuff myself). Gives me the required very thin and even application.

-P.

Reply to
Peter Huebner