Oak Molding

Great advice. That's also good practice when toe nailing when framing.

Reply to
-MIKE-

If the piece of trim is nice ans straight, it may be easier to just glue it in pace. Since that is a "wet area," you could use caulk or any other silicone adhesive. There's new new genre of adhesives that are supposed to have very high initial tack and hold tight when material is pressed against it. If you try one of these products, you may get away with no nails at all, or maybe only a couple.

This is not uncommon if there is a window involved. Studs go 16" or 24" apart, until there is a doorway or window, then you have jack studs and kind studs shortening up that distance. Not all stud finders are the same. Find one that has a "deep scan" option and you'll get better results.

Reply to
-MIKE-

Reply to
-MIKE-

That's the way it works around here. Want a good discussion about the advantages of hand cut dovetails? Just ask how to set up a dovetail jig.

==============

Yup we just did it again bringing it up with a troll post!

Duh!

Reply to
Eric

I have never found that to work for me. It always just stops the nail penetrating at all and it bends over.

Nails have sharp tips on them for a reason....drill if hard wood or dry wood.

------------- snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote the following: How can I attach 25 feet of quarter-round oak molding to drywall?

What kind of nails should I use? How long should the nails be?

Do I pre-drill the oak molding?

I do not have a nail-gun).

Reply to
Josepi

I don't know what you're doing wrong (other than top posting), but I've blunted the ends of nails to keep the wood from splitting, I would guess, hundreds of times and it works great. It's a tried-and-true technique that probably goes all the way back to the invention of the modern nail. Cut nails were blunt and sheared the wood fiber when driven. That was probably an accidental benefit of the process of making them and not by design.

Reply to
-MIKE-

plonk

Reply to
Jim in Milwaukee

It doesn't take long, here, to figure out that so many of these troll types are the same person.

The woodworkers do not care about posting formats, readers or rabble rousing against others.

Most have just killfiltered the ones on your list and the group gets a lot more productive. They all say the same thing back and forth anyway, except for George Watson. He can't ever get a response so he constantly changes his nickname hoping for a pat on the back from somebody that isn't himself.

--------------

- Lee Michaels

- Leon

- Lobby Dosser

- George Watson

- Robatoy

- several Mikes used here

- Larry Jaques

- Doug and Bill and go away and leave woodworking people alone? You have been busted and your BS is old.

Now f*ck off, be a nice little idiot and go back to your embroidery pattern theft as digiKit, kit, hopper, Tazoar, Pixie and the **over four hundred** names you have used on that group.

mike

Reply to
Josepi

Here's another sock puppet to add to your list. Every time you expose them he spawns another new name.

plonk

Reply to
Josepi