O/T: Zac Sunderland

He made it.

Youngest person to sail around the world alone.

Google "Zac Sunderland" for details.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

Sucks that there's another younger kid set to beat his record in a few months.

I guess it will eventually get down to whichever country has the laxest child abuse laws will have one of their own set the record. ;)

RicodJour

------------------------------------ I guess it will eventually get down to whichever country has the laxest child abuse laws will have one of their own set the record. ;)

From what I can tell, this kid was sailing before he was out of diapers.

Buying an old Islander 36 for $6K, and then getting it ready for "Blue water" is quite an accomplishment in it's self, even if Dad is a shipwright.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

I agree it's quite an acccomplishment, but there are some people who have issues with the story.

line, though - I'm jealous! Man, would that be nice to just muck about in a boat for a year!

RicodJour

------------------------------------------------ I agree it's quite an acccomplishment, but there are some people who have issues with the story.

line, though - I'm jealous! Man, would that be nice to just muck about in a boat for a year!

Especially with dad picking up the tab which is in excess of $150K.

OTOH, a college education costs more than $150K at many universities these days.

Sailing this circumnavigation has been a great learning experience in progressing from teenager to maturing adult.

Doubt you will ever see him marking time in some office cubicle, he will have too much to bring to the party.

As far as any records are concerned, don't think he was after any other that to do it by himself.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

On Jul 16, 10:43=A0pm, "Lew Hodgett" wrote: .

He said as much.

One helluvan accomplishment. A little easier with GPS and satellite weather reports these days, but still.

Reply to
Robatoy

I think the thing that the sailors were objecting to was the "solo sailing around the world" part, when he had an engine and used it. I can understand the point, but it does seem a bit nit-picky.

RicodJour