O/T: Things are "Toasty"

Things were warm here in SoCal today.

96F outside my window at 10:00AM this morning and it isn't even summer yet.

Several places hit 115F.

As usual, the beach was around 70F.

BTW, for those who are interested, download "WeatherBug", it posts your temp on your tool bar.

Just select a zipcode.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

Oh my. Ugly up here at 7k feet. Musta got to 80dF here. ;-) And no air conditioning. :-)

wheeeee, jo4hn

Reply to
jo4hn

It has been a very mild spring/summer here in Houston like last year. Typically rain keeps the temperature down but is was dry in May and June up until this week. Temps have been in the 90's but that is normal. Today we are expecting yet another cold front. Several years ago the last cold front was typically in February, and Summer started in March/April.

Personally I kinda like this "Global Warming", "Climate change", uh " NORMAL GYRATIONS" of the Earth's temperature, as the past several Summers have been shorter and high temps have been lower. Oh and 3 years ago we had our first White Christmas in my 50 years of living in South Texas, 4 to 8" along the coast line.

Reply to
Leon

Ok, since I do respect the intelligence of this group, I have an OT question posed to me by my 14-year-old son. If water is the one substance that actually expands when frozen, how will melting ice, at the polar caps, flood the planet; if indeed the melting ice will occupy less space? To demonstrate his point, he filled a drinking glass about an inch over the rim with crushed ice. When the ice melted, the remaining water was well below the rim of the glass.

Reply to
ron

Melting ice from the ice caps adds liquid water to the inventory, hence the level must rise to accommodate it.

In the ice in glass demonstration the crushed ice has a significant volume of air entrained between the crystals as well as the (relatively) small amount of contraction volume owing to the phase change.

To demonstrate this, repeat the experiment as done, and mark the water level. Then put the glass in the freezer and refreeze it to solid ice and compare the levels.

--

Reply to
dpb

ron wrote: : If water is the one substance that actually expands when frozen, how will : melting ice, at the polar caps, flood the planet; if indeed the melting ice : will occupy less space?

Same reason lakes and rivers go down in the winter and rise when the snow melts in the spring. Some of the ice is on land (think Antarctica). When it melts the water moves from the land to the ocean. So, more water in the ocean, less on the land.

--- Chip

Reply to
Chip Buchholtz

If he did not fill the air space not occupied by ice with water that space would be taken up when the ice turned to water. Conduct the experiment with a full glass of ice and fill 95% with water and you will probably notice that the level rises very little as the ice melts.

You have to consider the "Political Spin" and now Gore and the like will benefit from this new "mental" problem.

The Half Truth, if the polar ice melted there would be global flooding, in some places the beaches would be a few feet smaller in width between the main highway and the water. Some times "high tide" causes more flooding. That will differ more or less on the local geological conditions. None of this flooding would be any where comparable to the flooding going on in the mid west.

Basically, if the melting of the ice was going to be a big problem we "all" would already be significantly affected by that which has melted already.

Why so much flooding in the mid west? Because along with the rain, snow melt that is happening closer to summer than earlier in the season. There has always been flooding and always will be flooding. That's why we built dams in the early 1900's.

I wonder what Gore thinks caused the heat records that were set a hundred years ago.

Reply to
Leon

The crushed ice example is misleading, as there is a considerable amount of air in the matrix. Floating ice, such as the North polar ice cap, will have no effect on sea level as it melts. However, ice on land, such as the Greenland ice sheet or the Antarctic ice mass, will raise sea levels as it melts off the land and into the seas. Here's the weird bit: the fresh water melting off the Greenland ice sheet may shut down the thermohaline circuit (nomenclature?) which will prevent tropical warmth from the Gulf of Mexico and Caribbean from reaching the North Atlantic. This would have the effect of plunging Canada, the northern US and northern Europe into a minor ice age. Which may increase the albedo of the Northern hemisphere and counteract the effects of greenhouse gases eventually. But my personal belief is no reliable computer models exist to predict the extent of global warming based on current data. Moreover, we still have not gone outside normal climate swings evidenced in the geologic record. IF global warming is caused by human use of fossil fuel and IF the only way to avert disastrous warming is to curtail such use NOW, then we are well and truly screwed.

If we get a mini ice age in the Northern latitudes and human civilisation has a substantial collapse due to resource wars, then in about

300 to 3000 years there's going to be some awesome, tight-grained lumber available for the remaining population as they reinhabit the North.

Bruce

Reply to
Bruce Adams

Back around 6/6, 6/7, 6/8 we got a preview that was hotter than late July most years, right on 100, maybe a degree or two over, nighttime around 80. Those days, I was carting a camera bag around Virginia International Raceway grabbing shots for a couple articles while I tried to soak every stitch of clothing I'd brought with me. Even my boonie hat was soaked to the top. I had to bail out before it was all over. Given my weight and age, I figured heat exhaustion was all I wanted. Heat prostration and heat stroke can really screw up your future.

I do NOT know how the drivers stood it, inside a triple layer Nomex suit, with gloves and boots and helmet. The pro drivers depend on cooled suits and helmets. These guys are all amateurs, and don't have the resources for that kind of thing...if their antique and near antique cars would provide the room and power.

Reply to
Charlie Self

Typical Baja weather this week... It was 89f this morning at 6 am with 58% humidity..

The TS is well protected but I'm watching the old grinder table turn orange... Kinda pretty..

Oh.. the shop was 93f this morning... AC is a wonderful thing..

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

Reply to
mac davis

"Robatoy" wrote

That's "echo", not "reverb"!

Reply to
Swingman

Indeed it is. I stand (sit) corrected. In this case, the difference is clear. In others, there often is a lot of overlap between delay, reverb, and echo. Or so I'm told. (Not to Miller-Clarke the discussion you understand...)

Reply to
Robatoy

It's not the floating icebergs that can contribute to rising water levels, but it is the ice supported above existing water levels on land masses that could potentially pose a problem. This would effectively be like holding your ice cubes above your glass of water, and allowing the melting ice to drip into it. The difficulty with getting honest information about these glaciers, however, is that there are so many groups out there with agendas, etc, who don't want you to know that several glaciers are expanding while others are melting. Also, global temperature readings have been falsely skewed to higher levels due to weather stations in places like Siberia no longer reporting their data.

Hope this helps.

-Barry

Reply to
<Barry>

A while back I read something that said that if the land-based ice melted it would raise sea levels up to 200 feet (Could have been 100, if so just adjust what follows - it was too long ago to remember exactly and I don't care to do it over). That sounded a bit off to me, so I did some really dirty research and discovered that, based on the average thickness of the Antarctica ice sheet and the Greenland ice sheet (both of which are mostly over land) and their approximate area, there is, in fact, enough water volume stored to raise the ocean level nearly that 200 (or 100, whatever it was) feet.

The only catch was that the sides of the oceans would have to be vertical - no allowance for increasing area of the ocean as it rises. That's why the estimates that say up to 20 or so feet are probably much more sensible.

But, there *is* enough water in those ice sheets to significantly raise ocean levels if they were to melt completely.

So far the ocean level increases have only been a few inches - not enough to cause a great deal of trouble anywhere but Venice.

I am not convinced re: global "warming/climate change", but the ocean levels *are* up slightly and there is plenty of ice over land to cause a real mess *if* enough of it were to melt.

Tim Douglass

Tim Douglass

I saw F1 drivers go without Nomex at the 1984 USGP held at the Texas State Fairgrounds in Dallas, Texas in JULY!. What the hell were they thinking? Nigel Mansel, driving a John Player Lotus ran out of fuel a couple of hundred yards from the finish and while attempting to push the Lotus up a slight incline to the finish line (illegal anyway IIRC) passed out and fell out on the course.

Dave in Houston

Reply to
Dave in Houston

But what? 15% humidity?

Dave in Houston

Reply to
Dave in Houston

Here in AZ at 1400ft, 112F and 10% today. It's a dry heat. Nice breeze today - kind of like a blast furnace.

Reply to
Doug Winterburn

Having spent time in steel mills, especially on the pouring platform, less than 10 ft from a stream of 2800F molten metal, being poured into the ingot, I can relate.

That said, "Toasty" is taking on a whole new meaning here in SoCal.

It is now 6:00PM PDST, well past the hottest part of the day, and the local station is posting 98F realtime.

Expect to continue thru at least Monday.

At least we haven't had to fight flooding, YET.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett