O/T: Old Farts Part II

Property taxes, you say? A local contractor bought a beachfront house near here about 30 years ago. The taxes were based on 'frontage' i.e. road side dimensions. In his case, about 200'. Then they changed the tax laws to 'water frontage' His property is in a bight and therefore wedge shaped. He has about

800' of beach there. Also, anything over a certain acreage, non farm also has a premium. TMALSS.. his taxes went from $ 4600.00 to...(you ready for this?) $ 39,000.00 per year He appealed, Too bad, so sad. Mind you, the property is probably worth 4-6 million.
Reply to
Robatoy

"Robatoy" wrote

after all, those sucking at the public tit have to have their benefits ... you know, the ones you can't afford for your family because you're paying theirs.

Reply to
Swingman

Very true here. Taxes went up 150% because of the "increased cost to Medicaid and the town's portion to cover these increases". That's nice except our health insurance coverage decreased while the premiums went up

20%. Who pays our new deductable and increased co-pay and now all of the new "Not covered" expenses that I incur?

We went from $300/year for the deductable and expenses that were covered to $3000 (no that is not a typo) a year for the same coverage. I guess an MRI of the brain when done as "diagnostic" and not "medically necessary" can set you back $1200 even though you have to have one a year because of a head injury years ago that has left certain parts of your brain turning to mush. And this is our second year into this new plan only now this year 4 more items are not covered. One is my cpap therapy supplies are not covered until I pay a $400 deductable. I guess I can kiss my new jointer goodbye. I kissed my lathe goodbye last year but tried to hold on to the jointer.

Allen

P.S. My blonde/pre-senior moment came while in college. I was working at Sears and always parked in the same spot. A fellow employee who had an indentical vehicle thought it was hillarious to park next to me. One night my sister and mom came to pick up my car as my sister's broke down and she needed a car to get to work. Well Mrs. Prankster thought it would be a hoot to park in the spot I always did. Needless to say when I was done with work, I came out and walked to my(her) car unaware that my mom was going to pick me up (thanks, sis for calling). I unlocked the door, got in and started the car. I then realized it wasn't my car when the radio came on. I never listened to the classic rock station. When I looked in the backseat, my books were missing.

I got her good as I pulled down to the backdoor and said I was kind enough to get your car for you, please give me my keys back out of the ignition. She never parked anywhere near me again.

And yes they were Ford Mustangs. Same color, year, tires, you name it. Truly identical twins.

Reply to
Allen Roy

Last winter my uncle Dick was hospitalized for an extended time in a induced coma after having an annurizem, after about 6 weeks he awoke, the doctors check him and after a couple days a shrink comes in to chek him out for brain damage. after a number of simple questions the shrink asks do you no what day it is or what time it is? Dick replies with, if you ask that nice lady at the front desk she will help you. Dick thinking to himself and he thinks i might be messed up he dosn't even know what day it is. true story. ross

Reply to
Ross Hebeisen

I've had that same experience. Years ago, driving the family car to "Junior Achievement", I _inevitably_ ended up parked next to another guy in the company who's family had a virtually identical car. It didn't matter where we parked, or who got there first, practically every week we ended up side-by-side. With _poor_ lighting in the parking area. White 1967 Dodge "Coronet" sedans with a maroon interior. Again, the keys would open the door, but not work the ignition.

The first time I got into the "unstartable" car I began to figure it out when it penetrated that the odometer read wrong.

Both the other driver and I learned to pay _real_ close attention to the license plate numbers. (both plates were 5-digit numbers, 3 of which were matching, with the 4th being a 6 vs an 8.)

Reply to
Robert Bonomi