Vehicle decal prompts emergency calls

"WACO, TX (KWTX/CNN) ? If you saw someone tied up in the back of a truck, would you call the cops?

A tailgate decal depicting just that is creating quite a controversy surrounding that question."

Video and story:

Reply to
Oren

Uhhh. ..... yes.

A 17- and a 19- year old boy were at a stop light when they saw the woman in the back seat of the car next to theirs mouthing "Help me". They followed the car and called the police and she had been car jacked. The police freed her. A day or two ago on the news.

Reply to
micky

At best it is poor taste. If it is realistic looking I can see calling the cops.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

When my wife was younger (high school) her parents took she and her best friend out to Vegas. Somewhere in Kansas, or so, they got bored and wrote "kidnapped" in lipstick on the back window. Neither daddy nor the cops were amused.

Reply to
krw

I'm surprised Homeland Security didn't burn the place down. Again.

Reply to
krw

And the police arrested the bad guy.

I'll bet.

Reply to
micky

I can see pouring a flammable liquid on it and setting it afire.

Or at least pulling it off, if it pulls.

Reply to
micky

My vision isn't that great but even I noticed the tailgate handle at the top of the decal intruding into the picture. Of course, stupid kids are easily fooled and I think it's idiotic to be required to accommodate idiots. O_o

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

That sure seems to be in bad form. I'd not want one of those on my truck.

. Christopher A. Young Learn about Jesus

.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Probably wouldn't set the whole truck afire, or the gas tank, unless one used way too much.

Reply to
micky

"Worried stiff"? I'll bet!

It's racist!

Reply to
krw

Here's the decal that's causing the controversy:

And, here's what a similar one looks like in traffic:

I'd put this in the same bag as yelling "Fire" in a crowded movie theatre or pointing a toy gun at a cop.

It's a third class joke. North American joke classification system: Class #1 - everyone laughs at the end of the joke except the person telling it.

Class #2 - everyone laughs at the end of the joke including the person telling it.

Class #3 - at the end of the joke, the person telling it laughs.

Reply to
nestork

Of course, the subject line didn't have anything to do with your observation.

Reply to
willshak

Of course, the subject line didn't have anything to do with the actual situation.

Nothing in the article or video mentions a single occurrence of anyone placing an emergency call. The person doing the voiceover asks if you would call the cops "if you saw someone tied up in the back of a truck" but there is no indication that anyone has actually called the police after seeing the decal.

In fact, the question itself doesn't even fit the situation. If I saw someone tied up in the back of a truck, I would certainly call the cops. However, if I saw a *decal* of a person tied up in the back of a truck (obvious by, as TDD mentioned, the tailgate handle) I'd merely laugh.

Methinks the subject line was an attention grabber to get us to read the post even though it appears to be inaccurate. Apparently, the only calls that have been made are to the proprietor of the company that produced the decal.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

OMG! They cut out a piece of her hip for the latch!

Reply to
krw

I'd like to know more. Did the police respond? Did they chase the "suspect" down, set up road blocks, mobilize a SWAT team, initiate a hostage negotiation?

Actually, the link you posted is for examiner.com, who claims that the Huffington Post reported the calls to 911 on Sept 8th. The only "kidnapping decal" article I could find on the Huffington Post website is from Sept 6th where the only time 911 is mentioned is when they quote someone asking "How many false 911 calls have been made because of these things?"

I'm not saying that 911 calls weren't made, but wouldn't you think that they would be a bit more news on that specific issue? Wouldn't there be at least one report with the details of the police response? Since you would think that the police would have to err on the side of safety and respond to every call, we'd have heard more about that particular detail of the story.

At kwtx.com they claim that "Some viewers told News 10 they called police when they saw the decal, but Kolb (the owner of Hornet Signs) says he hasn't been approached by a police department yet."

Forgive me if I'm just a bit leery regarding the 911 aspect of this story. I'd like to see some details as to how the alleged calls were handled.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

It's an artificial hip with a power-take-off attachment.

Reply to
micky

Heck, I've had many power tools run away over the years so I must tie them up so they can't run away. O_o

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

"FOJ" - Felony offending Josh. I keep telling you that lefties "only" want to control your life and everything in it.

Reply to
krw

Yikes! That's really kinky!

Reply to