O.T Ode to The Wreck.

G'day you lot, I'm about to disappear from the wreck, at fairly short notice, will possibly be back some time in the future, - who knows when that may be. The wreck has been a source of inspiration and learning for me and I've thoroughly enjoyed the sparring and ripostes and wealth of good humour. My way of saying thanks to all:

Ode to The Wreck.

---------------------------

There's a place exists on Usenet,

We know it as "The Wreck"

It should mainly be for woodwork,

(It should), but what the heck.

There's opinions on everything,

Not just confined to wood,

Advice is given freely

(And *most* of it is good.)

There's every different attitude,

And every different style,

Some posts might make your blood boil,

But most would make you smile.

The range of things you'll learn of,

If you find yourself in here,

Is truthfully, astounding,

It has knowledge without peer.

Theres no membership requirement,

Just join in and have your say,

You can have your questions answered,

And then be on your way.

Or, you may find, like many,

Who discover it one day,

That you're returning often,

Just to read, or have your say.

Discussions range from politics,

To life down on the farm,

From tools and wood, to stains and jigs,

And therein lies it's charm.

For it's a universal gathering,

Of mostly friendly folk,

Who share a common interest,

And appreciate a joke.

It's a kind of local woodshop,

Where, no matter where you're at,

You'll mix with others worldwide,

Work some wood and chew the fat.

And when the history of Usenet,

Historians may trace,

They'll find that Rec Woodworking,

Made this world, a better place.

diggerop

Reply to
diggerop

*GROUP HUG!!!*
Reply to
Robatoy

Don't you want to keep being a part of that???

Regards, Bill

Reply to
Bill

Whatever your reasons are for leaving, good luck.

Reply to
Rick Samuel

Most excellent!

I hope your hiatus is a short one; Fond memories you will embrace. For without your seasoned repartee, The wreck will be a lesser place. :)

One Seppo who'll shout a round and skol a stubbie in your honor ya bloody piker. You'd better lob in ya dag bastard. ;-)

Greg G.

Reply to
Greg G

Crikey digs

Yer got us altogether again Had us all larfin . . . and bluewin . .!

And then there 'e wos . . gorn....!

who was that mysterious man . ..?

Digs, I hope this departure is nothing too profound - and I thank you for renewing my interest in the wreck and connecting once again with some of my old mates. . . . ..

Go well - and if should pass by Nannup sometime - it would be a pleasure to meet you. Phully

Reply to
Phil Laird

snip

Hope things are ok with you, good luck and come back soon you bastard

Reply to
Phil

May you have fair winds at your back as you journey forth.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

And may the fish he catch be bigger than the hole in his net.

Reply to
Robatoy

Enjoyed your visit! Come back when you can!

Reply to
Morris Dovey

On Wed, 18 Nov 2009 12:39:02 +0800, the infamous "diggerop" scrawled the following:

Awwwwwwwwwwwwww!

Toodles, Dop. Nice knowin' ya.

-- When we are planning for posterity, we ought to remember that virtue is not hereditary. -- Thomas Paine

Reply to
Larry Jaques

On Wed, 18 Nov 2009 02:44:21 -0800, the infamous "Lew Hodgett" scrawled the following:

Aw, Lew. Give him an Irish wish:

May the wind at your backside always be your own!

-- When we are planning for posterity, we ought to remember that virtue is not hereditary. -- Thomas Paine

Reply to
Larry Jaques

[snip of wondrous doggerel]

May your skies be sunny, may your beer be cool, and may your sleep be without dreams.

peace, jo4hn

Reply to
jo4hn

That'd be Nova Scotia grammar, laddie.

Reply to
Robatoy

Be careful in there, don't drop the soap in the shower.

Reply to
Larry W

I was thinking about this thread on my way to work today.

I think if I was given the choice of being able to wake up tomorrow knowing everything there was to know about woodworking or learning through this forum and other resources (the way I do now), I would choose the latter.

If one removes the "human element"--like being able to share pictures of projects and techniques and ideas, then woodworking starts to appear a bit dry. Fortunately, the human element is central to the whole picture..one doesn't design and build furniture to rest in a vacuum (one vacuums the furniture...).

Bill

P.S. I have learned, I think, not to participate in politicial threads because my skin is not thick enough for it. Face-to-face, I think I could hold my end up, but I'm not going to argue with "strangers", especially about politics! I'm sure I'll forget and get sucked in again, and then I'll need to back off again... ; )

Reply to
Bill

Gosh, if you ever get to the point where you know everything about everything you are interested in, then what do you do next? I wouldn't even smile... ; )

Bill

Reply to
Bill

On Wed, 18 Nov 2009 09:37:47 -0800, the infamous jo4hn scrawled the following:

The person who thought that one up evidently tired of waking up sticky.

-- When we are planning for posterity, we ought to remember that virtue is not hereditary. -- Thomas Paine

Reply to
Larry Jaques

That was pretty bad..I probably should have written instead: One doesn't design and build furniture to rest in a vacuum--one rests on the furniture and vacuums the rest... That makes a little more sense.

Peace, diggerop. Come back when you're ready.

Bill

Reply to
Bill