O/T: Never Thought I'd See It

Not a good idea, the harridan might say, "Sure, let's". :)

dadiOH

Reply to
dadiOH

Then you get to say "only if I can smoke after".

Reply to
J. Clarke

Come on! That's pretty simplistic don't you think? As long as there's any type of society, there's always going to be criminal elements trying to make illegal profits out of it.

Reply to
Upscale

Another outlandish rebuttal. People eat to survive. They don't have to smoke. As to amount that people eat, well, that's a discussion for another day.

Reply to
Upscale

Mark Twain said he could quit anytime. He'd done it often.

Twain was quite proud of the fact that the only thing that could overcome his iron will to remain tobacco-free was his determination to overcome his iron will.

Oh, and he didn't smoke when he was asleep.

One of his best lines:

"The differences between a James Fennimore Cooper Indian and the Indian that stands in front of the cigar store are not many."

Reply to
HeyBub

Hear ya. I quit smoking a little later than that, and admittedly slipped in a puff, now and then, in later years. I allow myself a celebratory cigar about once a year. but I have been pretty clean for the past 15 years.

We had a couple of bars in the Wichita area that make wonderful, old- fashioned hamburgers. I really enjoyed the hamburgers, but secretly enjoyed the smoke.

Addict.

RonB

Reply to
rnrbrogan

Whatever it is, you can be sure it will benefit some profitable enterprise and, likewise, the pol that created the legislation.

nb

Reply to
notbob

I hadda 1 bicycle kills symbol painted on my van, but I only winged him.

nb

Reply to
notbob

Don't feed the troll. Ed.

Reply to
Robatoy

Don't let the door hit you in the ass on the way out.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

I smoked for a long time, quit about 7-8 years ago. I really notice the smoke, but don't bitch about it.

I agree with you. Let the market decide.

The businesses that catered to smokers would attract that business, and vice-versa.

Reply to
Dave Balderstone

Back several years ago when AZ went the "smoke-free" path, a restaurant owner wanted to turn his restaurant into a "smoking club". To a reasonable person, this seemed pretty reasonable, there are lots of restaurants in Tucson and there would be no doubt what one would be walking into if you entered this person's establishment. To a reasonable person. Reality? Full force of the law came down on this guy's head. How dare he think that he could run HIS business as he saw fit?!

Reply to
Mark & Juanita

But just think what could have happened if they had allowed it...

The club is a rousing success, filled with patrons happily puffing away. One of them opens the door to leave and at that very moment an innocent non-smoker is passing by. WHAM! That innocent inhales - ACTUALLY INHALES - a whiff of the transient smoke and now has to live with the certain knowledge that his/her life has been shortened and may end painfully and slowly from lung cancer.

Arizona - and California, Washington, New York, Florida, et al - knows best. So does big brother.

dadiOH

Reply to
dadiOH

Wonder what would happen if you advertised for something (a job, selling chia plants, tutoring, offering a kitten for adoption, etc.) and said in your ad "smokers only need apply?" That is, who would get their panties in a wad if you discriminated against non-smokers?

Reply to
HeyBub

Yeah, but was anybody preventing a "well behaved" non-smoker from walking into that smoking club and having a good time in spite of the smoke? I doubt there was there a sign on the door of the club that said "Non-smokers not allowed", so I don't see now they could have shut it down because of discrimination.

Reply to
Steve Turner

Nope, there was no requirement that people entering that club had to smoke, just that they could.

Reply to
Mark & Juanita

"Upscale" wrote in news:2669b$4a24da16$cef88bc5$ snipped-for-privacy@TEKSAVVY.COM:

How it that so outlandish? The discussion was about doing as one pleases unless it affects others. If you're obese society shoulders the burden of your healthcare and therefore affects everyone that pays taxes. They should then be able to tell you to push away from the dinner table and get your fat ass on the treadmill using your logic. Since there are far more obese people than smokers, seems like low hanging fruit to me.

Personally I would prefer the government stay out of my private life entirely contrary to what you believe.

Larry

Reply to
Larry

If the government and order of society was as out of your life entirely as you prefer, you'd most likely be dead a long time ago from someone killing you for the food you were eating.

Reply to
Upscale

Then you best find a deserted island to live on.

As long as you CHOOSE to live in society, government WILL be iinvolved in your life.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

"Lew Hodgett" wrote in news:5OyWl.612$ snipped-for-privacy@nwrddc02.gnilink.net:

I'm not advocating abolishing government. What part of PRIVATE can you not understand? Maybe you should review the Bill of Rights...

Larry

Reply to
Larry