Question???

Is it safe to burn walnut wood in a fire place. I heard there was bad fumes that could come from the wood.???

Reply to
Donald Weber

Don't forget to open the flue and I think you'll be fine.

Ed

Reply to
Ed Edelenbos

Only if you get your obama carbon credits

Reply to
Keith Nuttle

Walnut makes perfectly good firewood; one of the best in fact.

Reply to
Steve Turner

cocobolo.

Reply to
Robatoy

I've even smoked meat with it.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Black Walnut firewood characteristics: Ease of splitting: easy Smoke: low Sparks: few Coals: good Fragrance: good Overall Quality: Excellent

Reply to
Mike Paulsen

The hardest part is finding a pipe big enough.

Reply to
Ed Edelenbos

Burned a rather large Tulip Popular and a bit of ash today clean up still in progress. I have a 14' White pine log about 20" at one end

30" at the other, but I need transport to the mill.

Mark

Reply to
Markem

I knew some wise guy was going say something like that! Ok, how about this: Whenever I fell a walnut tree, the wood is so purty I try to make lumber out of the *whole damn thing*, even all that squirrely upper canopy stuff. I've got enough spoons, dowels, pens, and toothpicks to supply the whole planet for 10 years! :-)

Reply to
Steve Turner

Dude, I'm like Roger Rabbit and his "shave-and-a-haircut....."

Reply to
Robatoy

I am also madly in love with Jessica Rabbit

Robatoy

Naaaaaaah. I can't keep it lit...

(rimshot), j4

Reply to
jo4hn

As we can all see..... I'm not the only wise-ass in here..LOL

Reply to
Robatoy

But from the sound of things, you might be the only comedian. (grin)

Reply to
Ed Edelenbos

Donald Weber wrote: : Is it safe to burn walnut wood in a fire place. I heard there was bad fumes : that could come from the wood.???

Probably fine.

Walnut wood shavings or sawdust has to be kept away from horses, as some chemical compound in it causes severe hoof problems.

And the leaves, nuts, and roots contain juglone, which is toxic to at least other plants.

-- Andy Barss

Reply to
Andrew Barss

Awww.. that's so sweet. Anybody that serves Erdinger on draught near your neck of the woods?

Reply to
Robatoy

Maybe not, but you've got your own personalized category. :)

Reply to
Upscale

Can't answer that. I've never heard of Erdinger, much less tasted it. I'll remember the name though and see what I can find. I'm a run of the mill Sleeman Creme ale drinker. Yup, boring as hell, but there you go.

However, if you manage to source out a local watering hole that's wheelchair accessible, I'll be happy to buy you a mug or two.

Reply to
Upscale

Reply to
Steve Turner