O/T: Joe The Plumber

Seems Joe the plumber is not really a plumber, but maybe a plumber's helper.

To become a plumber requires a certain amount of time in grade as well as taking and passing the plumber's test to become a licensed plumber.

There will be lots of questions and some advice as follows:

1) Friday is payday. 2) S**t doesn't flow up hill. 3) Don't bite your finger nails. 4) During the winter, never eat the yellow snow.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

I was told that a plumber is an electrician with his brain removed.

Reply to
Robatoy

Isn't it amazing how the media has found it necessary to dig into this guy's background in such exquisite detail for merely asking The One a question while they have neglected reporting on the fact that people on Obama's staff have the same issues with tax liens. ... or for that matter reporting on the payoff scandal for a Democrat Florida congressman when 2 years ago they were all over Republican Foley for sending text messages?

Reply to
Mark & Juanita

Mark & Juanita wrote in news:wKadnZzDL-zevmXVnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@supernews.com:

That's ducking the question, Mark.

A man comes up, asks a legitimate question, and gets answers, right or wrong. Those are the facts. The real answers to his question might be different and more complicated than the answers he got. I would need an accountant for a busines netting a quarter million bucks per year, no matter under whose (enacted) tax proposals. I would not like it if my taxes went up, but if it is fair, and not too much, it should be OK. And yes, my definition of fair may be different than yours.

Now, why did he ask the question? AFAICT because he wants to buy a business. Then IMNSHO it becomes legitimate to ask how he is going to buy this business, what his qualifications are, and (so far not asked publicly) how he got the dough to buy the business. If that is by not paying his currently due taxes, he should be prosecuted. If he is in the plumbung business without meeting the qualifications, he should at least be investigated. Maybe he is a good example of the American entrepreneur, maybe he is an example of a tax cheat, I don't know. It seems likely that he is ducking regulations.

As always, YMMV, this is usenet.

Reply to
Han

Joe is a phony from start to finish, and may have been a plant sent by the McCain Campaign.

From a very conservative leaning reporter:

Joe ?the Plumber? Wurzelbacher related to Charles ?the Crook? Keating. Oops. October 15th, 2008 .

John McCain did great tonight in the debate. But every time John mentioned ?Joe the Plumber,? some of us in the campaign banged our heads against the wall. If Steve Schmidt had any hair left, I hear he would have been pulling it out tonight. He reportedly screamed at John?s debate prep team tonight (out of earshot of reporters, of course). ?You idiots - he?s related to Charles Keating? of the Keating Five scandal!? They thought they had a real live Joe Six-Pack who?s spurned Barack Obama?s tax plan. But what they forgot to do was check on Joe Wurzelbacher?s background.

Turns out that Joe Wurzelbacher from the Toledo event is a close relative of Robert Wurzelbacher of Milford, Ohio. Who?s Robert Wurzelbacher? Only Charles Keating?s son-in-law and the former senior vice president of American Continental, the parent company of the infamous Lincoln Savings and Loan. The now retired elder Wurzelbacher is also a major contributor to Republican causes giving well over $10,000 in the last few years.

Reply to
salty

Welcome to life under the Obama rule. Ask a question, get beat over the head with it. It doesn't matter if this guy is a plumber or not, he asked a question. It's none of your business how he can buy a business, for all you know the business owner is financing it so he can retire on the income. Question Obama, get investigated. Oh yea, that's what I want. Lou

Reply to
Lou

It wasn't Obama who put Joe The Plumber (JTP) out front and centre to bolster an anti Obama attack. It wasn't Obama who did the investigation of JTP. It *was*, however, JTP who approached Obama with the question. I wasn't Obama who latched onto JTP as an example of "Joe The Average American."

McCain screwed up, yet again. Old and out of touch. Simply put, one has to be in better shape to run with the young dogs.

Reply to
Robatoy

Actually I heard him say that he wanted to "buy" a plumbing company.

Reply to
Leon

More specifically, he dreams of someday owning THE two person plumbing business he works for. He made 40k last year, and is a tax evader. Under Obabma's plan he would actually be better off than he is now.

He's not only working illegally, but so is his boss. Did you know that JOe is not only an illegal plumber and tax cheat, but he is also related to CHARLES KEATING of "Keating Five" fame. The whole thing was a sleazy setup by the McCain campaign from start to finish.

Reply to
salty

On Oct 17, 9:13=A0am, snipped-for-privacy@dog.com wrote: [snip]

That relationship has since been debunked. Joe's last name is very common around those parts of Ohio. IF he's a relative, he'd be a distant one.

Reply to
Robatoy

Some parts of the country, the common name is "Smith". In Ohio, it "Wurzelbacher"

Renata

Reply to
Renata

But, see, he's a Republican, so the simple fact that he appears to be a tax cheat without qualifications for the business he wants to "buy," and that he's related to a known crook, are none of the public's business.

Reply to
Charlie Self

It's amazing how McCain has the same propensity that Bush has for acting before thinking. How much time would it have taken to look into "Joe's" background before using him as a stellar example of a small businessman. And how much time would it have taken for Bush to research the culture, mores and religious beliefs of the Iraqis before invading.

Max

Reply to
Max

Lou, lots of people have asked Obama and McCain questions without being investigated. Nobody would ever have heard of Joe if McCain hadn't made him an issue in the debate, and Obama hadn't responded.

Reply to
Larry Blanchard

Actually, I heard of Joe in the news before the debates. Wheather you like him or not, or think he is good or bad, it seems awfully unfair of the Obama supporters that call themselves news reporters jumping all over this guy for asking a question. Put me in front of Obama and I'll ask questions that will put him in his place. Lou

Reply to
Lou

Joe the Woodworker is getting jealous.

Joe the plumber asked Obama if his taxes would go up if he bought a business and made over 250K. Obama told him they would. How difficult is that to understand? By the way, Joe is does not make enough to buy anyone's business, his boss's business is not for sale, the business would not net him over 250K (about 100k), and he would pay less tax now under Obama's plan.

McCain is the one who brought Joe into the national spotlight, along with all the investigations, which would have happened to anyone, left or right. Either McCain naively didn't know this would happen, or didn't care. In any case, it's clear that he didn't ask Joe the Plumber if he could use him as campaign fodder, and he certainly didn't vet him. It's just one gimmick after another with McCain, instead of real plans and policies for a new government. I don't want a President who attempts to lead by using gimmicks.

S.

Reply to
samson

Jaypers. Go to snopes.com at

and type in "Joe the Plumber". It took me to a current news page and thence to the New York Times and an article on the subject. Doesn't take much time and for you right wingers, you can remain anonymous. gronk, j4

Reply to
jo4hn

Actually it's alphabet soup time.

If you can pronounce the name, somebody will probably answer, "Here" in the state of Ohio.

Until I met my then future son-in-law, had never heard the name "Renato".

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

Who cares about who Joe is or is not or whether or not he is licensed. The simple fact is, that if the business is worth 250k, the he will make something less then that, which puts him under Obama's threshold. Second, if he really were to make 250k, then boo 'freaking' hoo that he might have to pay more taxes. I would be happy to pay more in taxes if I could make

250k.

Another stupid stunt gone wrong.

SteveP.

Reply to